Comparing Text to Ensure Uniformity

Labguy23

The below function always evaluates as False even when I compare a cell to itself.

In addition, I wanted to be able to pull in all the strings as an array to make this easier manage, but I couldn't figure out how, so I had to use 20 seperate string variables. :( If you could shed any light on that, it would be helpful.

My goal is to have a formula that will look at n number of different values and return TRUE if they are all exactly the same or False if any one of the values are different.

Function CompareText(sText1 As String, sText2 As String, Optional sText3 As String, Optional sText4 As String, _
Optional sText5 As String, Optional sText6 As String, Optional sText7 As String, Optional sText8 As String, _
Optional sText9 As String, Optional sText10 As String, Optional sText11 As String, Optional sText12 As String, _
Optional sText13 As String, Optional sText14 As String, Optional sText15 As String, Optional sText16 As String, _
Optional sText17 As String, Optional sText18 As String, Optional sText19 As String, Optional sText20 As String) _
As Boolean

Dim iCount As Integer

iCount = 2

While "sText" & iCount <> Empty
If sText1 <> "sText" & iCount Then
CompareText = False
Exit Function
End If
iCount = iCount + 1
Wend

CompareText = True

End Function

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Not sure on the VBA side, but you can evaluate it in Excel...

A1 = Hi
B1 = Hi
C1 = Hi

D1 = "=AND(A11=B11,A11=C11,B11=C11)"
D1 = True

B1 = Hello
D1 = False

Upvote 0
Well, the problem with that is this, I'm already using Vlookup to look across 18 different sheets (which would essentially mean 18 pairs of comparisons for a total of 36 Vlookups which I will end up calling twice in the formula due to 3 embedded if statements), because the values will not always be the same position (I have a seperate formula that checks to make sure the values I want actually do exist on each sheet). This leads to a seriously obnoxious formula that is basically unintelligible by all but the most sophisticated Excel users (of which I am one, but most people in my office aren't anywhere close to my level). If I can get this one simple function to work, I can immensely simplify the formula I would have to use.

In addition, if I can get this function to work, I can make it work regardless of how many sheets are involved without having to rewrite the formula each time. This is a workbook that will be used and reused over and over again with different numbers of sheets. I want to make it as simple as possible for myself to manage in the future.

Upvote 0
Hi Labguy23

This is an example without error checking:
Code:
Function CompareText(sStr1 As String, sStr2 As String, ParamArray vStrs() As Variant) As Boolean
Dim i As Integer

If sStr1 = sStr2 Then
    For i = 0 To UBound(vStrs)
        If vStrs(i) <> sStr1 Then Exit Function
    Next i
    CompareText = True
End If
End Function

Hope this helps
PGC

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back