Comparing two lists to verify if they line up

fostertiname

I'm trying to find a way to use excel to compare two excel exports from two different software programs to find out if both are the same. The order of the two lists are different and it takes too much time to go through them to tic off each one until I've reached the end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Your request should be doable but some more information would help determine the best method(s). For example..

1. What do the exports look like? Are they just single columns or multiple? If multiple do they have exactly the same headings in the same order. Could we see a few rows (say 10-15) from each export that show some matching data and some not matching? My signature block below has a link with suggestions to do that. (We need to be able to copy/paste your sample data to test with so just an image is no good for that)

2. Where are the exports? Are they both in the same Excel sheet? Are they in the same workbook but on different sheets? Are they in different workbooks?

3. What should the results look like after the check has been done? That is, how do you want the result(s) reported?

The more that you can tell/show us about what you have, where and what you want to achieve, the better.

Upvote 0
Sweet, thanks Peter. Thank you also for the consideration on my request. So yes, the workbooks are in two different workbooks. I'm exporting from quickbooks and from another software (S2K) and the content of the reports are relating to invoice numbers and amounts. Those aren't the only two columns in the reports but they are the ones that I'm trying to compare. I want to find out if the invoice number on one workbook shows up on the other and if the amounts are the same. Trying to figure out inconsistencies in the invoice amount between the two systems. So they do not have the exact same headings in the same order. I could send sample of each report but I'm not at work until Monday so was trying to research this in my free time. It's taking too much time to do manually. There has to be an easier way. The results would just indicate when an invoice on one workbook is found on the second one whether the amount related to that document matches. Also, I need to find out if there is an invoice on one that isn't on the other.

Upvote 0
OK, but I'd still like to see some dummy sample data (& expected results) when you can.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back