Comparing two sheets and adding a comment

Jordan12

Hi Guys

I hope that somebody can help please. I am trying to create a macro that can compare data between 2 sheets I found this macro below and it works nicely. However I am hoping to modify it and I need help. As below it checks the data in column A, B, C against sheet2 column A, B, C ect. If it does not match the data is written to "unmatched" sheet. What I would to do is add a comment in column J that says which column did not match.

For i = 2 To LastRowSrc
For J = 2 To LastRowData
Found = False

Temp1 = Src1SH.Cells(i, "A") & Src1SH.Cells(i, "B") & Src1SH.Cells(i, "C") & Src1SH.Cells(i, "D") & Src1SH.Cells(i, "F")
Temp2 = Data1SH.Cells(J, "A") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "B") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "C") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "D") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "F")

If (Temp1 = Temp2) Then
Src1SH.Range(Src1SH.Cells(i, "A"), Src1SH.Cells(i, "H")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Data1SH.Range(Data1SH.Cells(J, "A"), Data1SH.Cells(J, "H")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Found = True
Exit For
End If
Next J

If (Not (Found)) Then
LastRowStore = LastRowStore + 1
Src1SH.Range(Src1SH.Cells(i, "A"), Src1SH.Cells(i, "I")).Copy Destination:=StoreSH.Cells(LastRowStore, "A")

End If
Next I

Regards
Jordan

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Jordan,

...add a comment in column J that says which column did not match.

The above is a little ambiguous, as I don't think you really mean the equivalent of right-click Insert Comment, but simply add the unmatched column(s) letter into Column J.

Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]Dim col As String[/COLOR]
For I = 2 To LastRowSrc
    For J = 2 To LastRowData
        Found = False
        Temp1 = Src1SH.Cells(I, "A") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "B") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "C") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "D") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "F")
        Temp2 = Data1SH.Cells(J, "A") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "B") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "C") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "D") & Data1SH.Cells(J, "F")

If (Temp1 = Temp2) Then
            Src1SH.Range(Src1SH.Cells(I, "A"), Src1SH.Cells(I, "H")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
            Data1SH.Range(Data1SH.Cells(J, "A"), Data1SH.Cells(J, "H")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
            Found = True
            Exit For
        End If
    Next J

If (Not (Found)) Then
        LastRowStore = LastRowStore + 1
        Src1SH.Range(Src1SH.Cells(I, "A"), Src1SH.Cells(I, "I")).Copy Destination:=StoreSH.Cells(LastRowStore, "A")
        [COLOR=#0000ff]col = ""
        If Src1SH.Cells(I, "A") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "A") Then col = "A"
        If Src1SH.Cells(I, "B") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "B") Then col = col & "B"
        If Src1SH.Cells(I, "C") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "C") Then col = col & "C"
        If Src1SH.Cells(I, "D") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "D") Then col = col & "D"
        StoreSH.Cells(LastRowStore, "J").Value = col[/COLOR]
    End If
Next I

Please note the code is untested.

Cheers,

tonyyy

Upvote 0
Hi Tony

Thank for the feedback. Great help, I tested it and it works however it does not give me the result I would like. It is putting al h columns into col J. I would it to display which col is incorrect in col J or highlight the affected cell::confused:

If StoreSH.Cells(i, "A") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "A") Then col = StoreSH.Cells(i, "A").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
If StoreSH.Cells(i, "B") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "B") Then col = StoreSH.Cells(i, "B").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
If StoreSH.Cells(i, "C") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "C") Then col = StoreSH.Cells(i, "C").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
If StoreSH.Cells(i, "D") <> Data1SH.Cells(J, "D") Then col = StoreSH.Cells(i, "D").Interior.ColorIndex = 4

Thanks
Jordan

Upvote 0
A question regarding your nested loops...

Code:
For i = 2 To LastRowSrc
    For J = 2 To LastRowData

The above will compare row 2 of the Src1SH to every row in the Data1SH, then it will compare row 3 of the Src1SH to every row in the Data1SH... until the last row in the Src1SH. Is that your intent? If so, then it's very likely the macro is producing correct results.

Or did you really mean to compare row 2 to row 2, row 3 to row 3, etc? In which case you need to delete the "For J = 2 To..." loop and simply replace the j's with i's to compare rows of the two sheets. For example...

Code:
Temp1 = Src1SH.Cells(I, "A") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "B") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "C") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "D") & Src1SH.Cells(I, "F")
Temp2 = Data1SH.Cells(I, "A") & Data1SH.Cells(I, "B") & Data1SH.Cells(I, "C") & Data1SH.Cells(I, "D") & Data1SH.Cells(I, "F")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back