Comparing varying text in one column to another column and giving results.

stevepaulbaker

Hi. Thank you for any guidance or help. I'm not that good with Excel and hope to solve a problem, but need help. Here's what I would like to do - if possible. I have software specs and would like to compare the software specs to any computer specs. I have the ability to run a program to give me all of the computer hardware specs and export to CSV. What I want to do is have a list of preconfigured software specs that I can compare against the same row...So if the hardware spec pulls and dumps this in A1
Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) (Build 7600) I want the formula to know a list of known acceptable software and tell me Pass or Fail.
If A1 says Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) (Build 7600) can a formula just search my list of acceptable software in B1 and if Windows 7 exists in B1 formula show a pass/fail?

Hope that make sense and hope Excel can do this!

Thanks

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi. Thank you for any guidance or help. I'm not that good with Excel and hope to solve a problem, but need help. Here's what I would like to do - if possible. I have software specs and would like to compare the software specs to any computer specs. I have the ability to run a program to give me all of the computer hardware specs and export to CSV. What I want to do is have a list of preconfigured software specs that I can compare against the same row...So if the hardware spec pulls and dumps this in A1
Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) (Build 7600) I want the formula to know a list of known acceptable software and tell me Pass or Fail.
If A1 says Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) (Build 7600) can a formula just search my list of acceptable software in B1 and if Windows 7 exists in B1 formula show a pass/fail?

Hope that make sense and hope Excel can do this!

Thanks
Maybe something like this...

A1 = Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) (Build 7600)

G1:G5 = list of keywords to search for

This formula entered in B1:

=IF(COUNT(LOOKUP(1E100,SEARCH(G1:G5,A1))),"Pass","Fail")

Upvote 0
That is excellent. It worked perfectly. Thank you! If I may ask one more question...I have a cell that contains the following C: 74.4GB | F: 15.0GB
I would like to be able to just tell me if C: has more than 10GB or more and write pass and if C: has less than 10GB to Fail. I tried this, but it didn't work out too well....
=IF(B17 <"10GB","PASS", "FAIL")
Thank you again for your help!

Upvote 0
That is excellent. It worked perfectly. Thank you! If I may ask one more question...I have a cell that contains the following C: 74.4GB | F: 15.0GB
I would like to be able to just tell me if C: has more than 10GB or more and write pass and if C: has less than 10GB to Fail. I tried this, but it didn't work out too well....
=IF(B17 <"10GB","PASS", "FAIL")
Thank you again for your help!
Assuming the unit of measure is always GB...

Maybe this...

=IF(LEFT(B17,2)="C:",IF(LOOKUP(1E100,--MID(B17,4,{1,2,3,4,5,6}))>10,"Pass","Fail"),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back