Complete excel noob here please help with a formula I need for personal finances

Lillerpool

Ok I have a little understanding of very basic excel formulas and always believe I can google my way round trying to find the formula I need, but on this occasion not even close lol.

What I am trying to do is have a cell that updates daily what current finances I have (a rolling bank account figure)

I have various excel tabs and what I want the formula to do is go to one tab (monthly incomings date) and if money rolled into today go to another tab (monthly incomings figure) and add to cell 'x'. Then go to another tab (monthly outgoings date) if to days date go to another tab (monthly in outgoings figure) and subtract from cell 'x'. I have probably made this sound far more complicated than it is any questions please ask.

As I mentioned earlier I always think I can google my way round this and this is my pathetic attempt at what I'm trying to do above that is not even close to what it should be but may help in some excel guru out their helping me out.

=SUMIF('Monthly Outgoing Dates'!D6:D11,"10/01/2014",'Monthly Cash Flow'!D6:D11)-SUMIF('Monthly Outgoing Dates'!D12:D40,"10/01/2014",'Monthly Cash Flow'!D12:D40) (don't laugh at least I tried ha ha)

Many thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
This seems like a problem that requires a VBA script (macro), not a formula solution. I can't figure out exactly what you need in that script from your description, but if you try to solve it with formulas, you'll run into one of two problems:
1. If you use a dynamic date, i.e., TODAY() instead of "10/01/2014", then your figures will change everyday unless to manually copy to values each cell. This is tedious and unworkable
2. If you manually enter today's date into each formula that would be tedious and prone to error

It seems like a problem that would have a pretty straight forward VBA solution but, again, I can't tell exactly what that would be.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back