Complex formula with Convert formula pulling from Table columns not working

DThib

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Help please!

My formula is working for all parts except the part labeled "Nuts".
My issue is if the value displayed as units does not match the stated units in the inventory then convert the value to the one listed from the one in the inventory.
Here is the formula:
=IF([@[Amount Needed]]="","",IF(NOT([@Unit]=(INDEX(Ingredients,MATCH($B4,Ingredients[Inventory Ingredient],0),6))),"Nuts",(INDEX(Ingredients,MATCH($B4,Ingredients[[#Data],[Inventory Ingredient]],0),9)*[@[Amount Needed]])))

The point I have gotten to so far uses this:
=Convert($C4,INDEX(Ingredients,MATCH($B4,Ingredients[Inventory Ingredient],0),5),$D4)
and I get #REF

Any help is appeciated

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
#REF! means an invalid range, best guess would be that the named range, 'Ingredients' is smaller than the table range, 'Ingredients[Inventory Ingredient]' and that the match found in the second range exceeds the boundary of the first.

At minimum, you will need to provide the proper addresses, e,g, A1:A10 for the named ranges and table formulas, and the location of the match for $B4 in the inventory ingredients list before we are able to provide a more detailed answer.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason and thanks for responding.

The Table I am comparing is named "Ingredients" in the Table the second column "B" (Inventory Ingredients" is an ever growing list of items. The "H" is the cost showing in the other table. The unit of measure to be compared to the table where the formula sits is "H"
Ex.
StorageInventory IngredientStore/Vendor/
Brand
Cost of
Package
Size of
Package
Unit of
Measure on
Package
Unit
Added?
Cost /
Unit
Cost per
Unit
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
FridgeEgg, Extra Large
Tendercrop Farms​
$ 3.99​
12​
egg​
$0.33​
$0.333 /egg​
FridgeEgg, White Only
Tendercrop Farms​
$ 2.80​
18​
egg​
$0.16​
$0.156 /egg​
FridgeEgg, Yolk Only
Tendercrop Farms​
$ 2.80​
18​
egg​
$0.16​
$0.156 /egg​
FridgeEgg, Large
Tendercrop Farms​
$ 2.80​
18​
egg​
$0.16​
$0.156 /egg​
DryBaking PowderHannaford$ 1.99
10​
oz​
$0.20​
$0.199 /oz​
DryBaking SodaHannaford$ 0.89
16​
oz​
$0.06​
$0.056 /oz​

The table the match is comparing to is this table "Recipe":
Ingredient
Amount
Needed
Unit
Recipe
Cost
Unit
Price
A
B
C
D
E
Flour, King Arthur AP - White0.5oz
$0.00​
$0.61
Milk, 2% (FairLife)2oz
$0.93​
$0.46

I hope that helps a little. Let me know what else you may need from me.

DThib

Upvote 0
I hope that helps a little.
Not really any clearer, there is nothing in the top table that matches the bottom one. The error that you have tells me that the formula had a problem finding the correct result.
MATCH is working, but there is a problem with the range of INDEX. Comparing your formula to the sample data, I see potential for an entirely different error but if the formula is causing multiple errors then #REF! could be overriding the others.

This is purely a guess, based on what little sense I can make of the above. The first part of CONVERT must be a number, the second must be a valid unit of measure to covert from, the third a valid unit of measure to convert to. Both units of measure must be in the list shown in the the formula when you type it and must be of the same type, e.g. "oz" and "g", you can't convert weight to distance, etc. (that is not meant as an insult of your intelligence, sometimes stating what most people would see as obvious can cause the proverbial penny to drop).

=Convert($B4,$C4,INDEX(Ingredients,MATCH($A4,Ingredients[Inventory Ingredient],0),6))

If you are not able to do anything with that then it would be better if you repost your samples using XL2BB (link below) so that the formulas, named ranges, etc are all correctly and accurately preserved. 2 tables the size of those in your last post should be sufficient, but please make sure that that the second table contains data that can be correctly matched to the first, then enter your expected results (manually calculated, not formulas that don't work) where the formula should go and explain in your post how you got that result from the data shown.

Upvote 0
Thanks.
No insult. I just grabbed a portion of the Ingredients table. It did not show the example.
My apologies. I'll see what I come up with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back