Complex search

Airwolf99

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey Team,

I have several large workbooks that I am consolidating into a master workbook. I need to be able to search a few different fields in order to be able to return results. Problem is, that someone coming into this workbook might know the ID number that is in column A, or they might know the part number in column B, or they might know the alternative ID number in column C, etc. To complicate things even more, the part number field in column B can have anywhere from 1 to 15 different part numbers all in one field. The person prior to me just kept annotating part numbers, so for example B1 may have "11111" and B2 may have "22222, 33333, 44444, 55555, 66666, 77777, 88888". I need to have one search field where the user can enter one of those 3 types of numbers, and then filter the results accordingly to return the data.

Thoughts?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Can I suggest that if you are consolidating the workobboks into one master workbook, that you take the opportunity to get the data arranged into a sensible data structure so that you have a only one part number in each cell. In terms of how to do the consolidation the first thing I would do it process the existing data to check for mulitple partnumbers in column B, If they occur, split them up to create multiple rows with duplicate data apart from each row which has a unique part number.
then the search bit should be easy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back