Complicated golf scoring system

L

Legacy 39013

I have a spreadsheet I'm using to score a golf tournament. There will be N number of teams with 4 players per team (this could change to 3 per team by game time). Players will be ranked according to their ability so that each team has an "A" player, a "B" player, a "C" player, and a "D" player. I'm sure many of you are familiar with this set up. The guy I'm helping organize the tournament doesn't like select shot, so he came up with a scoring system where every player plays his/her own ball. The good thing is that the "D:" players have as much a chance to contribute as the "A" player and possibly more. Now I have the formulas set up and will calculate the four different criteria I have for points. Here is the criteria:

1. Within each Rank, 1 point is awarded to the hole winner. You must win the hole - no ties (possible 72 points for a team).
2. Within each rank, 1 point is awarded for low score on the round. You must win _ no ties. (possible 4 points for a team).
3. Compare the best score within each team to the other teams for each hole. The winner gets a point. No ties. (possible 18 points per team)
4. Tally the resulting score from #3 above. Low score wins 1 point - no ties. (possible 1 point)

Easy enough, right? I set up the initial sheet with 4 teams to test. After I got finished though I realized I will have to manually insert each team into the "score card". this means that in my calculations below the "score card" I need to insert one row into each area where I am calculating a given criteria. I have an area for each rank and 1 for the teams. I'll have to manually insert 4 rows into the "score card and 5 rows into the calculation area.

All that for this. Is there a way to do those insertions via a form? Would some kind of macro be better? I've thought of using Access because I know I could work with the forms better, but I haven't quite got down how I would code all these criteria into it. What would you guys do?

Thanks for your time in reading my long-winded Question.

Jon

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back