Compress Picture Methods Explained?

Jasen79

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello, Not sure if anyone know the answer to this or not.
I have a code that I had a lot of help with from the MrExcel Community.
The Code works great but I am trying to tweak it even more.
The Code embeds pictures into desired cells, changes the cell size, and changes the image size as it appears.
Right now the total image size of all the pictures is about 1G.
I use another program before having them inserted into the excel formal that brings the total size of the Excel work book to 13.8mb
If is do not reduce the size of the images beforehand the workbook file size is 29.4mb
I know excel has a compress picture function and when I run that on the 29.4mb workbook nothing happens. The file size stays the same.
So my question is: The code that I am using, I thought changes the size (appearance of the image), not the actual file size of the image. So what happens when you adjust the appearance size of an image in excel?
Does compress Picture actual work? Because when I set it to apply to All pictures and wed (96dpi) the workbook files size stays the same.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Unless you checked the 'Do not compress images in file' option (see under File|Options|Advanced>Image Size and Quality), Excel will automatically compress any images to whatever default resolution you've set there.

Without the 'Do not compress images in file' option being checked, any images inserted into the workbook will be compressed to the default, regardless of what size/resolution they originally had. Hence clicking on Compress Pictures may not do anything more.

Upvote 0
Solution
Unless you checked the 'Do not compress images in file' option (see under File|Options|Advanced>Image Size and Quality), Excel will automatically compress any images to whatever default resolution you've set there.

Without the 'Do not compress images in file' option being checked, any images inserted into the workbook will be compressed to the default, regardless of what size/resolution they originally had. Hence clicking on Compress Pictures may not do anything more.
Ohhh Got it! Thank you for helping me understand. Also this helps in another way too!
Thank you for taking the time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back