Computer Specs for Excel Power Users !!

MackWilk

First of all, hello Excel gurus! :) I'm happy to finally join the community, especially that I had a pleasure to meet Bill Jelen personally a few months ago.

I would like to ask you about your dream computer specification for the purposes of financial modeling in Excel.

Right now I use Lenovo T410 with Intel Core i5, M 520 @ 2.40 Ghz (4 CPUs) + 4096 RAM, Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Office 2007

Presumably I should ask for as mych RAM as possible and at least Excel 2010 to which I could allocate up to 8 TB RAM...

Please let me know what are your ideas :)

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
MackWilk,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

My wife and I just purchased two Lenovo P500 IdeaPad's, with Intel Core i7, M 3520 @ 2.90 Ghz (4 CPUs) + 8GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit, and, we are running the Enterprize Edition of Office 2007.

They are incredible FAST, and, get the job done.

The only complaint I/we had was getting use to Windows 8. But, now, I would not go back to my Lenovo T61.

More RAM is always good.

Upvote 0
I run Excel 2003 on a 2004 model Dell laptop and it is fast even with large datasets (number of records approaching the row limit of 65,536). Can't imagine needing anything better unless the spreadsheet wasn't efficient.

Upvote 0
Plug in another 4 GB RAM to your current setup and you'll have a low-cost upgrade.
Once you've got a Core i5 you won't find a huge amount of benefit in going to an i7, IMO. Excel 2010 has got a few extra features but they aren't backwards compatible so you can't really use them in workbooks that will be going to users on earlier versions.

Denis

Upvote 0
Are you using 64bit Excel? If not, there's probably not much point increasing RAM unless you have a lot of other memory hungry apps running at the same time

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back