Computing "days in stock"

Peter J

Hi Gang, I'm a neophyte that has become fascinated with Excel. The possibilities seem endless, but my knowledge certainly isn't.
My current project is a spreadsheet that can calculate interest on inventory by taking interest rate and days in stock and returning dollar amounts. I think I can figure out the rate calculation (time will tell), but currently am befuddled by number of days in stock formula. Receiving date of incoming inventory entered in column A, and column B would indicate days in stock based on current date. My intuition tells me it's possible, but after perusing help menus for a couple of hours,I'm lost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Shalom, PJ

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi Peter:

Welcome to the Board!

Let us say your ReceivingDate is in cell A2, and the CurrentDate is in cell B2, then B2-A2 will give you the number of days in Inventory -- just format that cell as General

See the worksheet simulation ...
Book1
ABCD
1ReceivingDateCurrentDateNoDaysInInventory
215-Aug-0228-Sep-0244
Sheet3

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard Peter

Column A Date stock purchased

Column B formula =Today()

Column C formula =B1-A1

Columns A & B must use the same date format.
Format column C as general
This message was edited by Dragracer on 2002-09-28 19:28

Upvote 0
Thanks, Yogi. Forgive my ignorance but my plan did not originally include a "CurrentDate" column. Is there a way to reference current date without an additional column? Assuming that it's not possible, how would one set up such a column to update on a daily basis and recognize the actual calendar date.

My idea is to have an at-a-glance updating database that once set up would not require a manual input of current date. But then, my idea is based on desire, not know-how.

BTW, this is a great forum, I find the hardest thing in Excel is the code writing, the conceptualization is the easy!

PJ

Upvote 0
Hi Peter:

It is not necessary to have a second column; it is not necessary to house the CurrentDate in any cell. My simulation was just that ... a simulation.

So let us say your ReceivinDate is in cell A2, then

NoOfDaysInInventory = TODAY()-A2

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0
I guess Yodi beat me by a couple of minutes.

If you look at both of our instructions you will see that column B has the formula =Today() this will give you the computers current date.

if you do not what to use the current date column. use the formula =TODAY()-A1 Format must still be general. Column A must use the default format date

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I've got it! Back to work on Monday, I'll give it a whirl. If I bomb, I'll be back for more hand-holding!

Many thanks, PJ

Upvote 0
Hi Dragracer:

You are the Dragracer, I can't beat you ... all I can hope for is going neck to neck with you.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back