Computing Power and Excel

Romefucan

Board Regular
Greetings Everyone
I would like to thank this board and it’s members for their existence. This place has provided me answers and insights far beyond any help desk. Today I have just general types of questions.

I have written many projects in Excel 2000, with a computer running 1.4GHZ Processor and 512K Ram, and WIN2000 OS. So much so that my latest projects have become extremely complex, Thus I have reached that ultimate brick wall of Excel errors such as “Out of Memory”, “Not Enough System Resources”, “Continue without Undo” etc, etc.

I have read many posts here and I really would just like some comments on my next move. My options at this time (due to company licenses) are to install more onboard RAM upgrade to Excel 2003 and possibly install WIN XP.

My question is, How much would this upgrade help really? Would I have to save my projects in Excel 2003 format? Will this cause any strange rifts or code incompatibilities in VBA and Excel that right now perform flawlessly?(Thanks to the board members) And how much further could I take my projects?

My last course is to quit trying to save the world with projects as computing power just isn’t available to do what I want, and just start breaking up my projects into many workbooks that has its own limitations as well?

Thanks for all your comments

Romefucan
:oops:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You won't have file format issues moving from 2000 to 2003, with the possible exception of VBA code using pivot tables -- it's a bit of a moving target. If you don't use VBA and pivot tables together, it's basically a non-issue.

You will, however, be able to address more memory -- the memory limit for Excel increased for 2003 (can't remember quite how much) but it could make a difference. Speaking of which, memory's cheap. Always a useful upgrade unless you go way over the top. Moving from 512 MB to 1 Gig isn't excessive.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hherna01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back