Concatenate a range but ignore any cell with 0.

slimjimbo21

Hi there,

I'm concatenating (is that a word?!) a range of data into one cell using the =CONCATENATE function.

However, I want the function to ignore and skip any cell which has a '0' in.

for example, data:

A1= 7
A2= 0
A3= 9

A5 =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3)

I want to see A5= 79, but have A5= 709

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Delete post.....having a Seniors moment

Upvote 0
Rather than check for zeroes, why not concatenate everything and then substitute all 0's with nulls ("") ?

Upvote 0
Array formula, requires the morefunc add-in

=MCONCAT(IF(A1:A3<>0,A1:A3,""))

Upvote 0
Rather than check for zeroes, why not concatenate everything and then substitute all 0's with nulls ("") ?
Provided only that none of the cells contain numbers longer than 1 digit! :) See cell B5 below.

A more robust formula is in A14. Both formulas copied across.

Of course Chris has posted a fine solution already. My suggestion below may become more useful if there are more cells involved.

Excel Workbook
AB
Ignore 0 cells

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brilliant help, thanks very much all.

As it ended up, the simplest option worked! I replaced the 0 with ="", as recommended.

Thanks very much for quick responses.

sj

Upvote 0
Can I reawaken this sleeping thread?

I'm having a similar problem. I am doing a data merge where I am bringing individual spreadsheets for calendar months into one master spreadsheet that contains everything, including previous Dec and upcoming January, Gregorian dates, moon phases — the whole enchilada.

When I concatenate, cells from the individual spreadsheets which have no content in them at all come into the master spreadsheet with a "0."

I'm hoping there is a formula to help with this, without having to do a find and replace for zeros.

Upvote 0
Hey, one of my coworkers walked in while I was working on this, and they gave me the solution. Here's an example of my January 1st cell:

=IF(January!A1=0,"",January!A1)

Hopefully, this will help someone else out, since this is working perfectly. On the master spreadsheet, I am ending up with one massive data merge (exported to CSV) which can be imported into multiple InDesign files, all with different formatting, and update them all at once each year, instead of hand keying all the dates in each one. It's saving MASSIVE amounts of time! w00t!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back