Concatenate a row or part of

StuartWhi

Board Regular
Hi all,

I have been reading quite a few posts on this and haven’t managed to find what will work for me,
- Several post talking about using VBA, but unfortunately as I’m sharing the document so this wouldn't be ideal (many won’t accept macros),
- Several talking about a non-standard functions which runs a plugin (such as “concatIf”) or VBA also not ideal due to the above.

What I would like to do is concatenate a group of cells if they have text in them.
Quick background, arranging an extended family gathering and people are arriving / departing on different dates,
- Have found each instance of a date and using that to place the who arrive on the same date in different columns,
Arival Date / TimePeople 1.0People 1.1People 1.2People 1.3People 1.4People 1.5People 1.6People 1.7People 1.8People 1.9People 1.10
Tue, 24-Mar-15, 0:00Shirl, Steve, Anthony, Nicole, Chloe
Wed, 25-Mar-15, 16:30Lea, BrettNeil, ValDennis, Marie, TobiYol, Kris, Kyan, AddyJill, Barry
Thu, 26-Mar-15, 18:30Pat, SuzanneStuart, El

<tbody>
</tbody>
I would like to use a formula to then concatenate these into a common cell with a “, “ {comma then space} between them.
- I can achieve this by using this formula but it’s very long and ugly (embedded If’s) is there are better way to do this in a formula.

=IF(J5<>"",IF(AK5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5&", "&AJ5&", "&AK5,IF(AJ5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5&", "&AJ5,IF(AI5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5,IF(AH5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5,IF(AG5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5,IF(AF5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5,IF(AE5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5,IF(AD5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5,IF(AC5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5,IF(AB5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5,IF(AA5<>"",AA5,""))))))))))),"")

All I’m doing in the above is repeating the same thing, checking if the cell has anything in it, if it does add it to the cells before it. There are 10 cells it checks for data thus the reason for being so long.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
What I would like to do is concatenate a group of cells if they have text in them.
Quick background, arranging an extended family gathering and people are arriving / departing on different dates,
- Have found each instance of a date and using that to place the who arrive on the same date in different columns,
Arival Date / TimePeople 1.0People 1.1People 1.2People 1.3People 1.4People 1.5People 1.6People 1.7People 1.8People 1.9People 1.10
Tue, 24-Mar-15, 0:00Shirl, Steve, Anthony, Nicole, Chloe
Wed, 25-Mar-15, 16:30Lea, BrettNeil, ValDennis, Marie, TobiYol, Kris, Kyan, AddyJill, Barry
Thu, 26-Mar-15, 18:30Pat, SuzanneStuart, El

<tbody>
</tbody>
I would like to use a formula to then concatenate these into a common cell with a “, “ {comma then space} between them.
- I can achieve this by using this formula but it’s very long and ugly (embedded If’s) is there are better way to do this in a formula.

=IF(J5<>"",IF(AK5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5&", "&AJ5&", "&AK5,IF(AJ5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5&", "&AJ5,IF(AI5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5&", "&AI5,IF(AH5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5&", "&AH5,IF(AG5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5&", "&AG5,IF(AF5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5&", "&AF5,IF(AE5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5&", "&AE5,IF(AD5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5&", "&AD5,IF(AC5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5&", "&AC5,IF(AB5<>"",AA5&", "&AB5,IF(AA5<>"",AA5,""))))))))))),"")

All I’m doing in the above is repeating the same thing, checking if the cell has anything in it, if it does add it to the cells before it. There are 10 cells it checks for data thus the reason for being so long.
The range AA5:AK5 has 11 cells in it, not 10. This formula is a little simpler than the one you posted...

=MID(IF(AA5="","",", "&AA5)&IF(AB5="","",", "&AB5)&IF(AC5="","",", "&AC5)&IF(AD5="","",", "&AD5)&IF(AE5="","",", "&AE5)&IF(AF5="","",", "&AF5)&IF(AG5="","",", "&AG5)&IF(AH5="","",", "&AH5)&IF(AI5="","",", "&AI5)&IF(AJ5="","",", "&AJ5)&IF(AK5="","",", "&AK5),3,999)

Note that I did not test J5 to see if it contained a value or not because I assumed if J5 had nothing in it, then none of AA5:AK5 would either. If that assumption is not correct, then use this formula instead...

=IF(J5="","",MID(IF(AA5="","",", "&AA5)&IF(AB5="","",", "&AB5)&IF(AC5="","",", "&AC5)&IF(AD5="","",", "&AD5)&IF(AE5="","",", "&AE5)&IF(AF5="","",", "&AF5)&IF(AG5="","",", "&AG5)&IF(AH5="","",", "&AH5)&IF(AI5="","",", "&AI5)&IF(AJ5="","",", "&AJ5)&IF(AK5="","",", "&AK5),3,999))

Upvote 0
Try,
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(AA1 & " " & AB1 & " " & AC1 & " " & AD1 & " " & AE1 & " " & AF1 & " " & AG1 & " " & AH1 & " " & AI1 & " " & AJ1 & " " & AK1), ",", "")," ",", ")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try, adjust the cell references to suit
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1 & " " & B1 & " " & C1 & " " & D1 & " " & E1 & " " & F1 & " " & G1 & " " & H1 & " " & I1 & " " & J1), ",", "")," ",", ")
That will only work if the text being concatenated are single words... if a single cell contains two or more words, your formula will put a comma/space between each of its words.

Upvote 0
For me the formula in post #5 does what (I think) is expected.
Maybe, as long as all names being concatenated are single names; however, I have a friend whose name first name is "Mary Ann" (with the space in the middle)... her name would come out "Mary, Ann" in the list and look like two people within the overall concatenated list.

Upvote 0
Hi Gaz and Rick,

Thanks for all your help, I have checked both formulas in my situation and end up with Rick's. The format of the names is "Shirl, Steve, x" as these people are traveling under the same booking. Unfortunately it's not a single person per booking.
In any case both address the task slightly differently and work great in their own way.

Always amazes me what you guys are capable of, take it easy and enjoy the rest of your weekend wherever you are.

Regards,

Stuart.

Upvote 0
You're welcome,
Both should produce the same result, except if there are 1st 2nd names (or surnames), as Rick points out (e.g. Rick Rothstein with my formula would result in Rick, Rothstein, )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back