Concatenate array elements based on search results of a single cell

trishcollins

I have a table with a column named "Description" and another column "Tags". I have a named range "tag_data" that lists all the tags I want to search for in the description, and then concatenate the tags into the Tag Column:

I am using a function I named ConcatenateArrary based on a ConcatenateIf function I found.

The "Tag_data" is the named_range is a list of tags in a single column of a table ("WLM", "Cloud", "Digicom", etc.). I use this named range to search the "description". If the tag is found in the description, I want it added to the "Tag" field.

For example the brief description says "Cloud connectivity for DND WLM", I want to say "Cloud, WLM" in the tag field

Here is the code I have so far, but it doesn't work.

Function ConcatenateArray(CriteriaRange As Range) As Variant
'Range is the cell, Variant is the Array with the tags
Dim xResult As String
arr1 = Range("Tag_Data")
Dim i As Long
Dim counti As Long
counti = 1
For i = LBound(arr1, 1) To UBound(arr1, 1)
If Search(arr1, CriteriaRange) Then
If counti = 1 Then
xResult = arr1(i, 1)
Else
xResult = xResult & ", " & arr1(i, 1)
End If
End If
Next i
ConcatenateArrary = xResult
Exit Function
End Function

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Try this

<b>Sheet</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:223px;" /><col style="width:149px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >I</td><td >J</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Description</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Tags</td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#92d050; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Tag_data</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Cloud connectivity for DND WLM</td><td >Cloud, WLM</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >WLM</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >Digicom for DND WLM</td><td >Digicom, WLM</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >Cloud</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >Digicom</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B2</td><td >=ConcatenateArray(A2)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br /><br />

Code:
    Dim wItems As Variant, b As Range, cTag As String
    wItems = Split(CriteriaRange, " ")
    For i = 0 To UBound(wItems)
        Set b = Range("tag_data").Find(wItems(i), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
        If Not b Is Nothing Then cTag = cTag & ", " & wItems(i)
    Next
    If cTag <> "" Then ConcatenateArray = Mid(cTag, 3)
End Function

Upvote 0
Wow! Works great. Any way I can change the result if there are no tags. Currently it displays "0", and I just want it to be blank. Also, if it finds more than one instance, it repeats it. For instance "WAN, WAN" as it found the tag twice in one description. I just one to see it once in the tags column. Thanks again.

Trish ;)

Upvote 0
Use this

Code:
    Dim wItems As Variant, b As Range, cTag As String
    ConcatenateArray = ""
    wItems = Split(CriteriaRange, " ")
        If Not b Is Nothing Then
            If InStr(1, ConcatenateArray, wItems(i)) = 0 Then
                ConcatenateArray = ConcatenateArray & ", " & wItems(i)
            End If
        End If
    Next
    If ConcatenateArray <> "" Then ConcatenateArray = Mid(ConcatenateArray, 3)
End Function

Upvote 0
Excellent. Worked like a dream. Saved me hours trying to figure it out myself. If I wanted to reuse this function, and pass the named range to the function, can you show me how?

One other note, I see you are looking for only works separated by a space (I think that's what you are doing). That is not always the case.

I have a tag in the named ranged called "Phoenix" and it shows the tag from this statement: "NCR-PWGSC-NS-16_RCD-Phoenix DR - Complete Buildout of Phoenix DR at EDC Gatineau
" but not this one "NCR-PWGSC-NS-16_NCO-Phoenix Disaster Recovery-Solution/Pricing for 17/18 - Project-AMENDMENT OF 22186", the former having spaces around the word, the latter does not.

Trish ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=ConcatenateArray(rName)

But rName must be only one cell. Do you want it for a range of cells?

Try this please:

Code:
    Dim wItems As Variant, b As Range, cTag As String, cad As String
    ConcatenateArray = ""
    cad = Replace(CriteriaRange, "-", " ")
    cad = Replace(cad, "_", " ")
    cad = Replace(cad, "/", " ")
    cad = Replace(cad, "  ", " ")
    wItems = Split(cad, " ")
        If Not b Is Nothing Then
            If InStr(1, ConcatenateArray, wItems(i)) = 0 Then
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That worked. This has been so helpful.

No, I would only perform the function on one cell at a time, and just pass the two variables, the named range containing the list of tags, and the cell to look at. Also, is there a way to ensure it doesn't care about case, as I just noticed it picked up the Tag WIFI in the description twice, once as WIFI and once as Wifi. It's only in the named range as "Wifi"

Tag "WIFI, Wifi" Description "NCR-PWGSC-NS-16_WIFI-Space accommodation at Pace du centre - Wifi required ASAP - Urgent-SA"

Trish ;)

Upvote 0
Try this:

Code:
    ConcatenateArray = ""
    wItems = Split(cad, " ")
        If Not b Is Nothing Then
            If InStr(1, [COLOR=#0000ff]LCase[/COLOR](ConcatenateArray), [COLOR=#0000ff]LCase[/COLOR](wItems(i))) = 0 Then
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Function

Upvote 0
Perfect. The LCase worked. I only see one instance of WIFI now.

So if I wanted to pass the variable for the named range (in this case it would be "tag_data") to the function, rather than hardcode it into the function ie. "Set b = Range("tag_data").Find(wItems(I), …..", how would I do that? If was able to pass the variable for the named range I could perform this same function on other cells with using different named ranges.

Thanks in advance...Trish :)

Upvote 0
It would be like this

=ConcatenateArray(A7,Tag_Data)

Code:
Function ConcatenateArray(CriteriaRange As Range, [B][COLOR=#0000ff]NamedRange[/COLOR][/B] As Range) As Variant
    ConcatenateArray = ""
    wItems = Split(cad, " ")
        Set b = [B][COLOR=#0000ff]NamedRange[/COLOR][/B].Find(wItems(i), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
        If Not b Is Nothing Then
            If InStr(1, LCase(ConcatenateArray), LCase(wItems(i))) = 0 Then
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back