CONCATENATE cant use long text strings

picky

Hi there, new to the forum, will try to be as specific as I can with my query:

I have a product database, each product has its own row, and details such as price and product name etc are the columns. One of the columns is "product description", and another column is a hyperlink with a small bit of html code, both columns contain unique data for each product. I am trying to add the hyperlink to the end of the description of each product using CONCATENATE, but the descriptions are sometimes a few thousand characters long and concatenate cuts off some of the description, without adding the hyperlink either. Is there another function I can use?

example of what I want the end result to be in a new column for each row:

product description text is here
Click here to buy

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I have to ask ... are you sure Excel is the right application to use for this? What is the entire process that you are trying to achieve exactly?

Upvote 0
I only have to do this once, I will then save it as a comma seperated values file and upload to a database. If there is an easy way of doing this in excel then I would prefer to use excel. The end result is all the product descriptions having the hyperlink attached, in the same cell.

Upvote 0
It should all be there, but the cell will not display all of it each cell has a display limit. The limit changes a little depending on its size and formatting. In memory it all should be there. For large strings you would use a text box. Your problem though is the hyperlink which will not work from the text box. Nor will it work from the tail end of a long string. You do have the option of converting the entire string into the hyperlink, but the cell will still not display the whole string.

What I have done to solve this problem is to use two cells one for the product name, which becomes the Hyperlink and the product description. When the product Into. is selected a text box on a user form opens and displays all the product info.

Upvote 0
Thanks joe! copied the cell contents into notepad and all the missing data appeared... many thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back