concatenate or &

workingboy

Simple question on concatenate or &, because I could've sworn I was able to do this before, but unable to do so now.

In a chart, I want to reference in the title box a cell, along with additional text. So, for example, I would put in the formula bar: ="This is a test for "&sheet1!$a$2

When I press return, I get either a long box that gives me numerous reasons why it's not working, or a short box saying that this function is not valid (when I use concatenate instead of &). And single quotes around sheet 1 does not help it work. I'm sure I was able to do this before, but perhaps I'm using a new computer or a different Excel version that is making a difference. However, I know I had 2003 Excel on previous computer where this function was working, and still have 2003 Excel on this computer, so I don't think it's the version.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Well, I can nicely replicate your situation. I am not finding a solution, not even sneaking in with a named formula. I would just create a helper-cell with the concatenation and reference the helper-cell and get on down the road.

Upvote 0
Aladin, I am using XL2003 also, and my results are exactly as workingboy describes. If I try to enter a formula in the formula bar with the chart title selected I get the errors he is describing:<ul>[*]="A"&A1 --> verbose error;[*] =concatenate("a",A1) --> succint error message.[/list]

Upvote 0
Hmmm, interesting thought. What are your results, Jon? If yours are as mine, then maybe we can drag Erik or Fairwinds into this too.. :)

Upvote 0
Don't have 2003, but if the OP has US version then maybe, if he's on European then can't be...

Upvote 0
At least I know I'm not going crazy. As I've said before, I know I was able to do so before, but now unable to.

I have a US version of Excel 2003 with SP-2. Be glad to offer any other info if it helps.

I could take the easy way out and reference a single cell with all my stuff in it, but now this little problem bothers me.

Upvote 0
workingboy said:
At least I know I'm not going crazy. As I've said before, I know I was able to do so before, but now unable to.

I have a US version of Excel 2003 with SP-2. Be glad to offer any other info if it helps.

I could take the easy way out and reference a single cell with all my stuff in it, but now this little problem bothers me.

All my settings wrt OS and Office are US (English).

Upvote 0
Greg Truby said:
Aladin, I am using XL2003 also, and my results are exactly as workingboy describes. If I try to enter a formula in the formula bar with the chart title selected I get the errors he is describing:<ul>[*]="A"&A1 --> verbose error;[*] =concatenate("a",A1) --> succint error message.[/list]

Greg: you want me to send you a test workbook?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back