Concatenate Problems

MaximumGravity

I must have one setting messed up in a workbook. From column D, I am trying to concatenate a city and state (column E & F) with

=concatenate(A1,", ",B1)

instead of getting "Philadelphia, PA", I am getting the formula. I have tried it in another workbook, and it works fine. I have checked my settings, and can't find anything. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Isn't it a text function? It wasn't working, then I ensured all cells were text. Should they be general? Also, once they are concatenated, is there anyway to store the value of that cell, as a new value, as opposed to a reference form another cell?? In other words, once the city and state are together, anyway to store that data, so that even if the refering cell changs, or is deleted, the value of the concatenation stays the the same? Is that clear? Once Column D says "Philadelphia, PA" even if E & F change or are deleted, anywayto retain the calue in D?

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
You are using a formula, so in essence you negate excel seeing it as formula by having the cell formatted to text. I'm sure you could get a slick VBA answer, but hacks like me would apply the formula, see the result, and then copy it and paste special value over it to replace the formula with value.

Good luck

Upvote 0
You are using a formula, so in essence you negate excel seeing it as formula by having the cell formatted to text. I'm sure you could get a slick VBA answer, but hacks like me would apply the formula, see the result, and then copy it and paste special value over it to replace the formula with value.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back