Concatenate with text() to format as currency truncates trailing zero

Me_In_Va

I am trying to get a formula to display a currency total using the text() function and the concatenate() function but it drops the trailing zero. Here is the formula that I am using now:

=IF(H14>I14,CONCATENATE("Over by: ",TEXT(H14-I14,"$#,###.##")),CONCATENATE(TEXT(I14-H14,"$#,###.##")," was not spent")))

The formula is comparing two figures:
Col H: Total spent
Col I: Budget toal

If total spent is greater than the budget total then the first condition will display "$xxx.xx over". If the total spent was less than budget then it should display "$xxx.xx was not spent". However, it is displaying "$100.2 not spent" instead of "$100.20 not spent" if the cents has a zero in the pennies place.

Any help on getting this to work the way I would like without the use of VBA would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Olli

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You have the wrong format selected. ".##" will drop trailing zeroes in a decimal. Choose ".00" instead.

Try:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=IF(H14>I14,CONCATENATE("Over by: ",TEXT(H14-I14,"$#,###.[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]00[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]")),CONCATENATE(TEXT(I14-H14,"$#,###.[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]00[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]")," was not spent")))[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! Worked like a charm!

You have the wrong format selected. ".##" will drop trailing zeroes in a decimal. Choose ".00" instead.

Try:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=IF(H14>I14,CONCATENATE("Over by: ",TEXT(H14-I14,"$#,###.[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]00[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]")),CONCATENATE(TEXT(I14-H14,"$#,###.[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]00[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]")," was not spent")))[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
A shorter formula:

=TEXT(H14-I14,"""Over by: ""$#,###.00;$#,###.00 "" was not spent"";""$.00 was not spent""")

Upvote 0
A shorter formula:

=TEXT(H14-I14,"""Over by: ""$#,###.00;$#,###.00 "" was not spent"";""$.00 was not spent""")
Maybe the OP would like to take advantage of the H14=I14 condition and tailor the message for it...

=TEXT(H14-I14,"""Over by: ""$#,###.00;$#,###.00 "" was not spent"";""Exact amount was spent""")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back