Concatenation problem

Gregc

Board Regular
I am trying to concatenate the text value of two cells into a third cell. I am trying to add the deptartment to an account code. So I have 22 in cell B2 and 58100 in cell B3. I want 2258100 in cell B1. I type in =B2&B3 in cell B1 expecting 2258100 but it shows =B2&B3 not the result of the formula. If I change the formula to a math formula it also just shows me the formula and not the results of the math. I have checked cell formats, they are good.

The list is exported from our new accounting system and I have also had this problem with Quick Books exported information too. I know how to do the concatenation part, I am wondering if anyone knows why it won't show me the value I want to see?

Thanks,
Greg

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
On the cell press control+1 and change to general from text. Then press F2 on the cell and then enter. Does that fix it?

Upvote 0
Try highlighting one of the columns that you want to concatenate and copy --> paste values --> format as number.... as long as you don't need those formulae. I'm guessing those columns are pulled from some other source, not lookups, etc.

Upvote 0
Got it to work with time, format changes, copy to another work book and PFM. I really don't understand why it does this. It's random and the things I do to make work. If I try the same thing I did 5 minutes ago, it may work this time. Thanks for everyones help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back