Cond Formatting Problem

Crakkers

Hi
I am trialing a teachers markbook that compares teacher grades to target grades. it colour codes red, amber and green the grades column relative to the target grade. BUT, when I copy and paste to increade the number of teacher grades columns the colour format loses its rules and does not copy.

Advice or solution sought please.

Thanks

Crakkers

can you attach a file here?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hi Crakkers, welcome to the boards.

Once you have copy / pasted, select the last row with known working formatting, then from the Home tab double-click on the format painter. This will then allow you to "paint" the formatting from the selected range to wherever you like.

Alternatively, when pasting the copied columns, right-click, paste special and select "Keep source formatting".

Hopefully one of these should help you out.

Upvote 0
Hi Crakkers, welcome to the boards.

Once you have copy / pasted, select the last row with known working formatting, then from the Home tab double-click on the format painter. This will then allow you to "paint" the formatting from the selected range to wherever you like.

Alternatively, when pasting the copied columns, right-click, paste special and select "Keep source formatting".

Hopefully one of these should help you out.

Hi, No sorry, either this does not work, or i cant follow your instructions. Is it possible to attach my file? I cant see an attach function here!?

Crakkers

Upvote 0
Hi again Crakkers,

Sorry, you cannot post files directly to the forums. You can host them somewhere like dropbox or onedrive and share the link, but that is the closest you will get.

In the meantime, lets do some basic troubleshooting that I perhaps should have got out of the way at the start...

What version of Excel are you using?

Are you able to go into the existing conditional formatting and copy one of the rules out and post it here? If we can see the code being used we might be able to spot something that would cause it to break.

Upvote 0
Hi again Crakkers,

Sorry, you cannot post files directly to the forums. You can host them somewhere like dropbox or onedrive and share the link, but that is the closest you will get.

In the meantime, lets do some basic troubleshooting that I perhaps should have got out of the way at the start...

What version of Excel are you using?

Are you able to go into the existing conditional formatting and copy one of the rules out and post it here? If we can see the code being used we might be able to spot something that would cause it to break.

Hi

Its 2007.

The referencing of grades to target is doe via; =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)

CF is as: =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0

So when I click and drag to expand the input grade column which is column C in this example and the target grade is in column B the CF colour scheme is lost. So if I click and drag to copy across to colum F the code reamis as =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0, where as it should be comparing F to B. What I dont want to do is edit each column in turn.

Thanks

Crakkers

Upvote 0
Hi

Its 2007.

The referencing of grades to target is doe via; =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)

CF is as: =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0

So when I click and drag to expand the input grade column which is column C in this example and the target grade is in column B the CF colour scheme is lost. So if I click and drag to copy across to colum F the code reamis as =MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0, where as it should be comparing F to B. What I dont want to do is edit each column in turn.

Thanks

Crakkers
Hi again Crakkers,

The $ before the column letters in your examples above are explicitly telling Excel to use those columns. These values are "locked in" and do not change when dragged or copied around the sheet. If you need these values to increment intelligently as you drag / copy, you need to remove the preceding $ from any columns you are expecting to change relatively when you move the formula around. In theory

=MATCH($C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0

Would become

=MATCH(C3,Grade,0)-MATCH($B3,Grade,0)<=0

Note that as you always want to compare to column B regardless, the $ preceding B3 stays. This tells Excel that the B part is locked and should not be changed.
When $C3 becomes C3, Excel no longer tries to lock the C value and should allow it to increment relatively to a new column when the formula is moved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back