Condition formatting a single cell based on multiple others

MiniFav

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All.

I am trying to conditional format cell A1 Red if any cells below are not empty.
I have tried this many ways only to find that the conditional format only searches up to A2 and ignores the rest of column A.
In my scenario there will be a number of empty cells through out column A and potentially all empty except for row 3000, of which i would like the head to change colour to indicate there is a value to look at, clear the value then double check A2 has change back to its Green colour to tell me not further values of interest are in this column.

The closest i have come is using =AND($A2:$A3000)
This allowed for numeric only values to be picked up and the word TRUE but no other text based values.

Any help on this would be great.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
How about
Excel Formula:
=COUNTA(A2:A3000)>1

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=COUNTA(A2:A3000)>1
Thank you for the quick reply!
This just makes A1 turn red even with blanks. I will try to use this suggestion along with an IF and see if i can get that to work.

I forgot to mention, all the blank cells below A! have formulas which are error checking another worksheet, thats where this table populates and shows any errors for me to fix.
Rather than scrolling through 3000 rows or filters i would just like the very top cell to change colour as a quick indicator of if i have any work to correct.

Upvote 0
I thought you wanted to highlight A1 if any cells from A2:A3000 were not blank, but that A3000 would always have a value. Is this not the case?

Upvote 0
I thought you wanted to highlight A1 if any cells from A2:A3000 were not blank, but that A3000 would always have a value. Is this not the case?
Sorry no. There is a chance that range A2:A3000 will be completely blank. in this case i would like A2 to turn green to indicate i have no errors to resolve.
Then A2 to turn red if there are any values withing range A2:A3000 indicating i have issues to fix.

Upvote 0
In that case use
Excel Formula:
=COUNTA(A2:A3000)>0

Upvote 0
In that case use
Excel Formula:
=COUNTA(A2:A3000)>0
This is still turning A1 red even though there are no values in A2:A3000. I have narrowed this down to it picking up the formulas i have in range A2:A3000 even though they are returning blanks ""

I have used the following to try and ignore the formulas but i am coming back to the same issue that this only works as far as A2 and then no further.
=IF((A2:A3000)="","",IF(COUNTA(A2:A3000)>0,TRUE,""))

Upvote 0
Do those formulae return text or numbers?

Upvote 0
In that case try
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS(A2:A3000,"")<>2999

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back