Condition Formatting Question

penmann

Hi folks, I'm new to the message board and had a question (of course). I'm looking to use Excel to validate an inventory. I have two columns of data, 'Asset Tags' and 'Serial'. I want to have Excel conditionally format a cell in a third column 'Validate' if it appears in 'Assets' or 'Serial' based upon a checkbox status. i.e., if the checkbox is TRUE, the Excel compares the items in 'Validate' column, to 'Assets', if the box status is FALSE, it compares the 'Validate' value to the 'Assets' column. I was looking to do this without VB if possible. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I think it is possible.
I suppose you know how to link a cell to the checkbox.
Then you can write choose formula in the conditional formula to do the conditional formula.

I think I can help you.
Please provide sample data.

Br,

Upvote 0
The sample data is just serial numbers and asset tags, so it is just a random sequence of letters and numbers. Below is an image of what I am talking about. Column I or O will be filled by a client.
Then we will be told which to compare against and fill in our inventory in the merged QR columns, however I want excel to mark duplicates using conditional formatting based on the checkboxes.
So if I click on SER, whatever I type in merged QR will be compared to the I column 'SER' and vice versa. The conditional formatting would mark duplicates, which is what we are looking for since we're trying to verify an inventory.
ExcelVerify.jpg

Upvote 0
Try this if it can help.
First you have to link the check box to cell G3 and G2 by right clicking it in form control.

Try below formulas in conditional formula rule.

=IF($G$3,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,AST,0)),TRUE),FALSE)
=IF($G$2,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,AST,0)),TRUE),FALSE)

AST is name for your merged QR column.
B2 & A2 are for column O & column I.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back