Conditional average?

Paul B

I have the formula =SUM(IF(MONTH(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=B$1,IF(YEAR(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=$A4,gas!$E$5:$E$200,0))) in B4 and filled across to M4, I have =SUM(B4:M4) in N4 to give me the totals, all of this works fine, I want to get the average, but if I use = AVERAGE(B4:M4) it averages all 12 columns even if there is no data in them yet, is there a way to average only the columns that have data in them?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
This function will average only cells containing numeric data

Function AVG(Data As Range)
Dim nVal As Integer, iCell As Object
AVG = 0
nVal = 0
For Each iCell In Data
If iCell.Value <> "" Then
If IsNumeric(iCell.Value) Then
AVG = AVG + iCell.Value
nVal = nVal + 1
End If
End If
Next iCell
If nVal > 0 Then
AVG = AVG / nVal
Else
AVG = [#N/A]
End If
End Function

Upvote 0
Vog, that still gives the avg for all the columns?
This message was edited by Paul B on 2002-11-03 10:20

Upvote 0
An alternative to Vog's solution is to use this:-

=AVERAGE(IF(B4:M4<>0,B4:M4))

REMEMBER - This is an array formula - you enter it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just enter.

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-03 09:18, Paul B wrote:
I have the formula =SUM(IF(MONTH(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=B$1,IF(YEAR(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=$A4,gas!$E$5:$E$200,0))) in B4 and filled across to M4, I have =SUM(B4:M4) in N4 to give me the totals, all of this works fine, I want to get the average, but if I use = AVERAGE(B4:M4) it averages all 12 columns even if there is no data in them yet, is there a way to average only the columns that have data in them?

That requires changing your multiconditional formula in B4 either to array-entered...

=IF(COUNT(gas!$A$5:$A$200),SUM(IF(MONTH(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=B$1,IF(YEAR(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=$A4,gas!$E$5:$E$200,0))),"")

or, alternatively, to normally entered...

=IF(COUNT(gas!$A$5:$A$200),SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=B$1)*(YEAR(gas!$A$5:$A$200)=$A4),gas!$E$5:$E$200),"")

Now, ordinary AVERAGE should work as intended.

Upvote 0
Dk, that works, thanks
Aladin, I tried both of yours but the average came back as the 12 columns?

Upvote 0
Hi You might try this....
formular samples.xls
CDEFGHIJKLM
39average with blanks not counted
miller-avg

hope this helps...

pll

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-03 10:25, Paul B wrote:
Dk, that works, thanks
Aladin, I tried both of yours but the average came back as the 12 columns?

Not so fast. I need some clarification here. As I understood it, you're doing a multiconditional sum wrt to the worksheet gas in B4:M4 in a separate worksheet. The original array-formula will give you a 0 when there is no data in gas. This kind of 0's will distort the ordinary average...

=AVERAGE(B4:M4)

So, I proposed to modify the multiconditional formula not to produce 0's but "" (blanks). After this modification, the result of...

=AVERAGE(B4:M4)

will not be based on unjustified 0's. Other proposals eliminates all 0's, justified and unjustified.
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-11-03 12:17

Upvote 0
Aladin, I tired changing the 0 to blank before I posted, I thought that would work, but it did not, I am testing to match the data in “gas” column A with the month and year in anther sheet, then if they match sum the amount in “gas” column E. like I said in the beginning I thought the blank would have fix it. I would be happy to send you an example of the workbook if you would like, so you could show me why I can’t get it to work, just let me know. Thanks again Paul B pab@surfbest.net

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-03 12:12, Paul B wrote:
Aladin, I tired changing the 0 to blank before I posted, I thought that would work, but it did not, I am testing to match the data in “gas” column A with the month and year in anther sheet, then if they match sum the amount in “gas” column E. like I said in the beginning I thought the blank would have fix it. I would be happy to send you an example of the workbook if you would like, so you could show me why I can’t get it to work, just let me know. Thanks again Paul B pab@surfbest.net

After seeing your data, I'm convinced that the array formula that you are using cannot produce a true 0 dollar amount. In order to avoid averaging with spurious 0's, you can just use...

=SUM(B4:M4)/MAX(1,COUNT(B4:M4)-COUNTIF(B4:M4,0))

By the way, defining a single dynamic name (e.g., GData) for your gas data, you can use

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(INDEX(GData,0,1))=B$1)*(YEAR(INDEX(GData,0,1))=$A4),INDEX(GData,0,5))

instead of the array-entered formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back