Conditional ComboBox

johnpants

Hi, I have a combobox on a userform that gets it's info from a seperate workbook (admin). What I would like it to do is that when the user selects one of the entries in the combobox, it automatically fills a textbox with the data directly to the left of the combobox source data..

Additional info:

Combobox = Combobox1
Source for combobox = Book 'Admin' sheet 'Data' range 'D5:D65536'
Source for Textbox fill = Book 'Admin' Sheet 'Data' range 'C5:C65536'
Textbox = Textbox1

Example:
If I select "CIS" in the combobox it will fill the textbox with "Marketing" as Marketing is in the cell to the left of CIS in the source sheet.

Hope this makes sense and somebody is able to help.

Thanks,

John.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
You can pre-populate the column with a vlookup statement that looks for the value selected and then returns the text next to it. Will that work for you?

Upvote 0
It works great with one catch - the other workbook has to be open. I am looking to see if there are ways around this, other than copying the source workbook into your new one.

If you are OK with the source being open, then reply back and I will explain what I did.

colbymack

Upvote 0
At the moment, the source workbook opens so that the ComboBox can get it's information, then closes again. I could change it so that it closes once the user clicks the command button, which would mean that it would be open as you suggested, and would save copying it etc.

Does that help?

Upvote 0
Does this work?
Code:
Textbox1.Value = Range("C" & Combobox1.Listindex+5)

Upvote 0
To get this to work, you need to use named ranges in both of your workbooks.

Let's say I have 2 workbooks - 1 called Pricing, that has Sheet1 with all of the partnumber, part description and part pricing on it.
On this file, I have named a range called partdescrprice that includes those three columns (assuming my columns in pricing are Part, description, and price).

Let's also say that I have a separate workbook called Invoice. (the equivalent of your userform). On that sheet I have a named range called partdescrprice. Partdescrprice's name definition is as follows:
=[pricing.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$7

I can then use the following vlookup formula in B2 to find the related description when a partnumber is entered in A2:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,partdescrprice,2,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(C5,partdescrprice,2,FALSE))
I could also have it return the price in the next column by using the same formula, but replacing the 2 with a 3.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back