conditional counting

ipsdan

Board Regular
Any help appreciated...
I would like to count the number of cells in D:D that contain data, i.e. aren't blank, when A:A equals "A".
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Ken,

Thanks for the information. I would be grateful if you (or someone else!) could explain what the '--' means in that formula. What purpose does it serve?

Upvote 0
the dashes coerce the True and False answers to 1 and 0 so that Sumproduct can count them. Ativate the cell the formula is in and hit shift-F3. Remove the -- and see what happens. This will explain easier maybe.

Upvote 0
Counting "Until?" Is that possible?

I think I have a similar request except that I would like to develop a formula that counts the number of blank cells up until it hits a cell with data and gives me that count.

Is that possible?

So wherever I place this formula, it would count the number of cells above it UNTIL it reaches a cell with data and then stop and just return that count of the number of blank cells.

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Upvote 0
ipsdan said:
Any help appreciated...
I would like to count the number of cells in D:D that contain data, i.e. aren't blank, when A:A equals "A".
Thanks in advance.

=COUNT(D:D)+COUNTIF(D:D,"?*")

which would only include numbers and non-zero length text values.

Otherwise:

=COUNTA(D:D)

Addendum. I missed the condition imposed on column A, hence the above inappropriate formula.

Upvote 0
Re: Counting "Until?" Is that possible?

joezeppy said:
I think I have a similar request except that I would like to develop a formula that counts the number of blank cells up until it hits a cell with data and gives me that count.

Is that possible?

So wherever I place this formula, it would count the number of cells above it UNTIL it reaches a cell with data and then stop and just return that count of the number of blank cells.

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Doesn't what I suggested in your proper thread fit the bill?

Upvote 0
Dear Sir,

It worked.

I apologize for (I guess) a bit of cross posting. Didn't mean to do that.

I just ran across this gentleman's post after I did mine and the problem sounded similar.

Your solution worked great. I had to tweak it a bit in a very simple way (took out the -1 as the structure of my spread didn't need that).

I'm very impressed.

Now I'm going to have to really try to read that to see how you did it. The only way I ever understand formulas and functions is to say them out loud. LOL.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Joe

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back