Conditional Format cells with values that match the value of a cell within a range

Denny57

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking to apply conditonal formatting to those cells in the range D6:I50 whose values match the value of any cell in the range D3:I3.

I found this example in a previous enquiry on this forum which was trying achieve a similar result for the Range A1:A20 when matching against values in the range B1:B10.

Highlight Range A1:A20 then in CF under Formula type the following
=MATCH(A1, $B1:$B10, 0)

I tried to adapt this to =MATCH(D6, $D$3:$I$3,0) but to no avail.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible and if so can someone provide the appropriate formula.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
To apply conditional formatting to a range of cells in Excel such that the cells are highlighted if their values match the value of any cell in another range, you can use the following formula:

Code:
=COUNTIF($D3:$I3, D6:I50)

This formula uses the COUNTIF function to check each cell in the range D6:I50 to see if its value exists in the range D3:I3. If the value exists, the COUNTIF function will return a value greater than 0, which will trigger the conditional formatting rule and highlight the cell.

To apply this formula as a conditional formatting rule, select the range D6:I50, then go to the "Home" tab and click on the "Conditional Formatting" button. From the dropdown menu, select "New Rule". In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box that appears, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" and enter the formula =COUNTIF($D3:$I3, D6:I50) in the "Format values where this formula is true" field. Finally, choose the formatting you want to apply to the cells (e.g. a fill color or font color) and click "OK" to save the rule.

Note: The dollar signs ($) in the formula are used to create an absolute reference to the range D3:I3. This means that the range will not change when the formula is copied to other cells. If you do not want to use an absolute reference, you can simply use the formula =COUNTIF(D3:I3, D6:I50) without the dollar signs.

Upvote 0
In what way didn't this work
Excel Formula:
=MATCH(D6, $D$3:$I$3,0)

Upvote 0
To apply conditional formatting to a range of cells in Excel such that the cells are highlighted if their values match the value of any cell in another range, you can use the following formula:

Code:
=COUNTIF($D3:$I3, D6:I50)

This formula uses the COUNTIF function to check each cell in the range D6:I50 to see if its value exists in the range D3:I3. If the value exists, the COUNTIF function will return a value greater than 0, which will trigger the conditional formatting rule and highlight the cell.

To apply this formula as a conditional formatting rule, select the range D6:I50, then go to the "Home" tab and click on the "Conditional Formatting" button. From the dropdown menu, select "New Rule". In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box that appears, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" and enter the formula =COUNTIF($D3:$I3, D6:I50) in the "Format values where this formula is true" field. Finally, choose the formatting you want to apply to the cells (e.g. a fill color or font color) and click "OK" to save the rule.

Note: The dollar signs ($) in the formula are used to create an absolute reference to the range D3:I3. This means that the range will not change when the formula is copied to other cells. If you do not want to use an absolute reference, you can simply use the formula =COUNTIF(D3:I3, D6:I50) without the dollar signs.
I have tried to apply this but I keep getting totally random results

I have tested by giving Cells D3:I3 the values 1 through 6 (D3=1, E3=2 etc) and entered various cells in the range D6:I50 with these values to no effect. Instead,
I get the formatting in random cells in range D6:I50 where the values are not 1 - 6. (eg 23,11,54).
Additionally, some cells containing these values are not formatted..

So I created a test file with a small sample with the range D3:I3 given values I through 6 and a Smaller Grid (D7:I14) in which only one cell formatted (G11), but this has a value of 34. If I change the value of this cell the formatting disappears until I return it to 34. Other cells in this range have a value of 1 thru 6 but are not formatted. If I change the value of different cells to a value of 1 thru 6, these also do not get formatted.

Upvote 0
In what way didn't this work
Excel Formula:
=MATCH(D6, $D$3:$I$3,0)
Basically the cell does not format, beyond that I Cannot see any reason why this should be the case

Upvote 0
What is the applies to range for the rule?

Upvote 0
Basically the cell does not format, beyond that I Cannot see any reason why this should be the case
I have created another test file and this time the formatting has worked...Confused

Upvote 0
Which formula was that using?
Also can you answer my question in post#6?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back