Conditional Format ROW based on text in drop-down list

ava_h

I'm creating a deal tracking spreadsheet with several columns of customer information. In the last column, I want to have a drop-down list so that the sales team can choose either: Deal Won, Deal Lost, Quoting. In addition, I'd like for the entire row to change colors based on the value they choose in the drop down menu. I know how to create a drop-down list based on data validation, but I'm not sure how to apply the conditional formatting to the entire row based on that specific value.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
It depends on your version of Excel, which one are you using? Also which column is the data validation in?

Upvote 0
I'm using 2007 and the drop-down list in in column "I". The rest of the columns are just customer info, but I need the entire row to highlight the specific color based on the value of I.

The colors should be something like:
Deals Lost - Red
Deals Won - Green
Quoting - Yellow

Thanks!!:cool:

Upvote 0
So you'd highlight your range starting the upper most left cell and use - use a formula to determine which cells to format

=$I2="Deals Lost" - set a red format

Then add a new condition for each deal status and set the relevant format.

Upvote 0
When I did that, it colors the entire sheet. How can I apply the conditional formatting to each row based on the answers in column I without manually repeating each conditional format? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Nevermind, got it working. It was in the details, excel automatically put a "$" before the number of the referenced cell. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I am trying to do for my worksheet But forgive me I am not understanding how to do what you were instructing to do..... Could you please send me a bit of clarity on how I do this? Thank you so much if you can!!

So you'd highlight your range starting the upper most left cell and use - use a formula to determine which cells to format

=$I2="Deals Lost" - set a red format

Then add a new condition for each deal status and set the relevant format.

Upvote 0
Taking the formula apart, I2 holds the value but if you just used I2 the cell to the left would refer to H2, to the right J2 so you use the $ sign to fix I2 that way all cells will refer to it. I said to highlight starting in uppermost left for ease, conditional formatting will apply itself initially this way hwever in Excel 2007 and above you can choose the range that the CF applies to.

Example, you want to highlight a row from columns A through E green based on the value in C being Yes

Excel 2007
ABCDEF
1NameCompanyInvestmentPensionSavingsCF Formula
2JohnCars IncNoYesYes=$C2="Yes"
3GailMonsters IncYesYesYes=$C2="Yes"
4SarahToys IncYesNoNo=$C2="Yes"
5MarkSkates IncNoYesYes=$C2="Yes"
6JoanneVans IncYesYesNo=$C2="Yes"
Sheet1

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back