Conditional Formating - Column and Row Highlighting

Tim Ball

I have a query relating to conditional highlighting - specifically highlighting a cell's column and row based upon whether it contains data or not i.e. if it is blank, it's column and row remain unhighlighted, but when it contains data, it's column and row should become highlighted. I could probably manage this myself but I have a few more specific requirements which I have illustrated with a few screenshots, however I can't see how to make these available to view here!IOII

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Apologies, I've just read the 'Forum Posting Guidelines'! I'm operating MS Excel 2010 on Windows 7. I have attempted to use MrExcel HTML maker and have attempted to paste the code below.
Excel 2010
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
Job No:
Sheet No:
0a
PROJECT:
DOCUMENT REGISTER / ISSUE SHEET
Project Title
Year Month Day
DOCUMENT TITLE
Size
Dwg No.
Document 1
A4
1234-001
A
B
C
Doucment 2
A4
1234-002
A
B
C
Document 3
A4
1234-003
A
B
C
DISTRIBUTION
No. of Copies
Recipient 1
AA
Recipient 2
BB
E
Recipient 3
CC
E
Authorised for issue by:
TT
TT
TT
Purpose of issue:
I
I
I
Issue
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet (0)

Here I will try to describe the required end result as best as possible. (Task 1) We currently have conditional highlighting which highlights a particular column when a letter 'Y' is entered into row 33, however, I would prefer this to be triggered by data being entered into the 'Distribution Section' of the worksheet i.e. where 'e' has been entered into cell F19 (Note: the value of this cell will always be 'E' or numbers '1' to '9'). (Task 2) I would also like to highlight the corresponding row; in the example this would be Row 19. (Task 3) When a new date is entered into G4, the previously activated highlighting needs to be removed i.e. Column F should no longer be highlighted and none of the rows in the 'Distribution Section' should be highlighted until any of the cells in the range G18 to G20 have data entered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back