Conditional Formating Equations

Navy67

I usd to think I was an Excel power user but I am stumped. If I put an equation into conditional formating it does not seem to take effect. As a test, I put the same equation in the cell contents, and it evaluates to TRUE. When I copy that same equation into the conditional formating equation, and select a cell shade format (eg Red), it doesn't do it. Any ideas? I am willing to send the example to anyone who wants to look at it.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I'll rephrase my suggestions! How about postin the formula here & adding an explanation of the various parts, the data types they're refering to etc. Also include a description of what you are trying to do... :)

=AND(StartDateMonthFirstDate)

what does 'StartDateMonthFirstDate' refer to?

Paddy

Upvote 0
When I try to paste the equaiton it truncates it. I am new to this web site and confess I feel a little ignorant about how to communicate. The equation is basically an "=AND" operation in which 2 conditons must both evaluate to TRUE, suing < and > operators (using names for single cell values). As I mentioned, I know the equation evlautes to TRUE becasue, for testin purposes I actully put the equation into the cell contents and it returns TRUE, but the background color is not changed, even though the conditional format equation is identical to the cell content equation.

Upvote 0
OK, the formula you posted is:

=AND(StartDate < MonthLastDate,EndDate > MonthFirstDate)

(it was truncated 'cos of the < and > brackets, which the board gets confused by - trying to interpret them as html tags. One way to deal with this - select the 'disable html on this post' option when posting a message).

Upvote 0
What I am trying to do is create a "poor man's version" of a schedule. Lets suppose a cell represents a month. To the left I have the start and end dates (with column names) and rows specfic to a given event. Above the cell, at the top of the sheet, I have the beginning and ending dates of that month in named rows. I want compare these 4 dates to see if they coincide or overlaap, and if so, I want to change the shade of that cell, thereby creating a bar between the start and end dates for each schedule item (row). I know MS Project can do this but it is too expensive and unfriendly for the relatively simple schedule I want to creat and share with a broad audience.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back