Conditional Formating for entire rows

mitchbagby

I'm trying to get certain rows to change the background color if a certain cell contains a Month. I want this to work for the entire spreadsheet.

For example:

I have columns from A to I and rows from 2 to 10. The dates are in column I ranging from January to June. If a row is January I want the background of that row to be red. If it's February the background to be green and so forth.

I have tried several SEARCH formulas but I can't get it to work. Please help.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Select A2 to I2. Click Conditional Formatting|New Rule|Use Formula...|Format Values where...|type =$I$2="January"|and then set the format using the buttons|click OK. Then select A3 to I3 and do the same. Repeat for each row (for each month). [When you say you want the background of Jan's row to be red, I assume you mean only columns A to I and not the entire row.]

I suggest you watch this video and it will explain all you ever needed to know about Conditional Formatting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfe4bHsjhI).

Upvote 0
Thank you and I will try that. I actually want the entire row's background color to change based off of the date in the last column.

Upvote 0
Entire row: then select row 2 instead of A2 to I2. The box that says 'Applies to' should then read =$2:$2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back