Platform
  1. Windows
So I have 2 charts.
One looks like this.
ColorAppleOrangeGrape
Blue401
Red540
Green030

I want to be able to highlight the 2nd chart so that any color that occurs MORE THAN 3 times on a fruit from chart 1, are highlighted like this.

BlueApple
BlueGrape
RedApple
GreenOrange
BlueApple
RedApple
BlueApple
RedOrange
GreenOrange
RedApple
BlueApple
RedOrange
GreenOrange
RedOrange
RedApple
RedApple
RedOrange

So the 4th blue apple would be highlighted but not the other blues. The 4th & 5th red apple, the 4th red orange would be highlighted. No green would be highlighted.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Select the range and use
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A1=$A1),--($B$1:$B1=$B1))>3
as CF
Format as needed and adapt ranges

Upvote 0
Does the first table actually have anything to do with the question? If so, can you clarify how it applies?

Upvote 0
What's more efficient about COUNTIFS ?
It is simply a more efficient (faster) algorithm developed by Microsoft for the newer function.
If you want to test the speed of the functions themselves, remove any conditional formatting and just copy the 17 rows of sample data and paste to, say, 17,000 rows in columns A:B

In C1: =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A1=$A1),--($B$1:$B1=$B1))>3
In D1: =COUNTIFS($A$1:$A1,$A1,$B$1:$B1,$B1)>3

Copy C1:D1 down the 17,000 rows.

Use a range timer to measure calculation times (eg timer code provided by Microsoft here, about half way down the linked page)
The actual time will depend on the user's system resources but for relative time differences for me
- the time to calculate C1:C17000 was 14.7 seconds
- the time to calculate D1:D17000 was 9.2 seconds

That is, a 37+% increase in efficiency using COUNTIFS as compared to SUMPRODUCT.

Upvote 0
Good to know. Thanks. But I'll stick to SUMPRODUCT which is much more versatile IMO ( even if a little more complicated to use)
I can't check my system as you suggested as I am running Excel on Ubuntu but I'll take your word for it

Upvote 0
Sounds then like the first table was not relevant to the CF in which case you could use the more efficient COUNTIFS in your CF formula should you want.

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS($A$1:$A1,$A1,$B$1:$B1,$B1)>3
Sorry I'm fairly new to excel. Everything I know has been picked up on online searches in the last year as I run into problems so there's a lot of functions I do not know. To my untrained eyes I thought I needed both charts for calculation... thank you both for your amazing answers.

Upvote 0
Good to know. Thanks. But I'll stick to SUMPRODUCT which is much more versatile
No problem. I agree that SUMPRODUCT is versatile & can be used in some circumstances easily where COUNTIFS cannot but I don't think it should be a matter of choosing one of them and then always using that one. In my view better to use a simple, fast function if it is applicable - especially if the data set is large.

thank you both for your amazing answers.
You're welcome. Glad we could help. Thanks for the follow-up. :)
You have a couple of choices for this task. (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back