Conditional Formating

Mad Hatter49

I am trying to use conditional formating to change the colour of cells in Excel 2003 on WinXP for the following data:Due Date(A1) - Delivered Date(B1) - Days Overdue(C1)In (C1) I am using the formula =IF(ISBLANK(B1),"",A1-B1)This returns either a positive number if delivered before due date, negative if after and blank if not yet deliveredI am trying to turn C1 Green if delivered on time, Red if late or overdue and no change if undelivered and not yet dueIam using the following conditional formats:Condition 1 - Cell value is - greater than or equal to - 0 - Format=GreenCondition 2 - Cell value is - less than - 0 - Format=RedCondition 3 - Formula is - ="IF(A1<TODAY())" - Format=RedCondition 1 & 2 are both working, however if B1 is blank C1 is turning Green, the desired result would be no change if not yet due and Red if overdueCan anyone please help me with this?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Do you encounter any errors or problems while doing this?

Upvote 0
No errors, just the undesired formatting results mentioned above.PS apologies for the formatting in my opening post, my carriage returns seem to have been removed!

Upvote 0
Sorry I had problems with the posting, I have now altered my forum settings and it now seems to be working.
The following is what my opening post should have looked like:

I am trying to use conditional formatting to change the colour of cells in Excel 2003 on WinXP for the following data:

Due Date(A1) - Delivered Date(B1) - Days Overdue(C1)

In (C1) I am using the formula =IF(ISBLANK(B1),"",A1-B1)
This returns either a positive number if delivered before due date, negative if after and blank if not yet delivered.

I am trying to turn C1 Green if delivered on time, Red if late or overdue and no change if undelivered and not yet due.

I am using the following conditional formats:
Condition 1 - Cell value is - greater than or equal to - 0 - Format=Green
Condition 2 - Cell value is - less than - 0 - Format=Red
Condition 3 - Formula is - ="IF(A1 < TODAY())" - Format=Red

Condition 1 & 2 are both working, however if B1 is blank C1 is turning Green, the desired result would be no change if not yet due and Red if overdue.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Upvote 0
For condition 1, use =AND(ISBLANK(B1)=FALSE,C1>=0)
For condition 2, use =AND(ISBLANK(B1)=FALSE,C1<0)

If you dont have the isblank in your conditional formula, the cell would change to green even if B1 is blank

Upvote 0
Many thanks for that Momentman, that has solved half (and the main part) of my problem and I think I almost understand how it works :), a little bit of reading needed I think.

The bit that has not been resolved is turning C1 red if the delivery is overdue, I suspect that I may be able to solve that myself once i fully understand what you did, probably using the TODAY() comand somewhere.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for that Momentman, that has solved half (and the main part) of my problem and I think I almost understand how it works :), a little bit of reading needed I think.

The bit that has not been resolved is turning C1 red if the delivery is overdue, I suspect that I may be able to solve that myself once i fully understand what you did, probably using the TODAY() comand somewhere.

If the delivery is overdue, isn't that already taken care of by condition 2, when C1 is negative?

Upvote 0
C1 will not be negative due to the formula that I'm using in the cell "=IF(ISBLANK(B1),"",A1-B1)"

However you have got me thinking and I've now changed that formula to "=IF(ISBLANK(B1),A1-TODAY(),A1-B1)" which now provides a figure for how many days overdue. I have changed your 2nd condition to "=C1 < 0" and now it works perfect :).

Many thanks for your help, not only does my spreadsheet now work but probably even better I now understand the AND function :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back