Conditional Formatting against three cells and blanks

gsmitchell

Hello everyone! I have a situation where I will have a Target %, a Monthly Result % and possibly an Adjusted Target %. I need to color code the Monthly Result % based on the following:
1) If there is no Adjusted Target %, and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Target %, make it green.
2) If there is an Adjusted Target % and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Adjusted Target %, but not above the Target %, then make it blue.
3) If there is an Adjusted Target % and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Target %, then also make it blue.
4) If there is no Adjusted Target %, and the Monthly Result % is less than the Target %, make it red.

I can get the basics to work, but the part I am having trouble with is how to have the conditional formatting ignore the times when there is a blank Adjusted Target %. The problematic part is making the rules say "if there is no Adjusted Target %, then compare the Monthly Result % to the Target %".

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

1660050929415.png

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hello everyone! I have a situation where I will have a Target %, a Monthly Result % and possibly an Adjusted Target %. I need to color code the Monthly Result % based on the following:
1) If there is no Adjusted Target %, and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Target %, make it green.
2) If there is an Adjusted Target % and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Adjusted Target %, but not above the Target %, then make it blue.
3) If there is an Adjusted Target % and the Monthly Result % is equal to or above the Target %, then also make it blue.
4) If there is no Adjusted Target %, and the Monthly Result % is less than the Target %, make it red.

I can get the basics to work, but the part I am having trouble with is how to have the conditional formatting ignore the times when there is a blank Adjusted Target %. The problematic part is making the rules say "if there is no Adjusted Target %, then compare the Monthly Result % to the Target %".

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

View attachment 71183
Supposing Adjusted is column E then in conditional formatting formula use
$E3="" to tell blank $E3 cell
or
$E3<>"" to tell $E3 has some value

Also, when you want to tell check Cell E3 just use And function formula in Conditional formatting

Example for 1st condition
Excel Formula:
=AND($E3="",$C3>=$D3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back