Conditional formatting and coloring rows

cynlewman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a very large dataset of 92000 rows. I have a business where I sell digital PDF files. The dataset customer orders. Every row has information about a single product purchase including date, customer name, customer email address and the product purchased. I'm trying to find every row that has a specific product purchased. In this case the product purchased is: Big John Farm Tractor + Trailer + Combine (2 PDF ePlan Downloads). My goal is to highlight every row that contains this product (row K). Then I'd like to sort the data by row color. My goal is to quickly find all email addresses that have purchased this product so I can quickly save a txt file with just those email addresses.
I've followed directions for conditional formatting with highlighting rows and creating a new rule but it never works. My formula is: =$K990236="Big John Farm Tractor + Trailer + Combine (2 PDF ePlan Downloads)" with the goal of highlighting the entire row with a cell color.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Rather than going through Conditional Formatting, you could make your range a table and use filtering to find all the rows with that product.
(Also, sort by color only works on the base cell color, not on colors that result from Conditional Formatting)

Upvote 0
Can you please expand on your answer? Is filtering the same as Find and Replace? My end goal is to quickly grab all the email addresses that have purchased that product and I don't know how to accomplish that.

Upvote 0
If set up a filter on column A and have it filter on "cat" all the rows that have "cat" in column A will be shown and the other cells hidden.
The easiest way for you to learn this would be to make a copy of your work workbook and play with the filter options on the copy.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, Mike! That worked for perfectly. I really appreciate your help. - Cynthia

Upvote 0
Also, sort by color only works on the base cell color, not on colors that result from Conditional Formatting
FYI: That is not so for me. Provided the colour is exactly the same, filtering by that colour shows rows coloured directly and/or via CF.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danni317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back