excellearner18

Hi!

I have what I think should be very simple, but is not working for me right now!

I am working on a scorecard sheet. So, we have a number of metrics, and for each we have Target and Goal for every month. Then, for each metric, there is a calculation of the percentage-where are they in relation to the goal? This is a scorecard, so 90% and above is Green, Between 50% and 89% is yellow, and 49% and below is red. All very simple, and we have used conditional formatting to ensure that the cell containing the percentage sum is coloured appropriately automatically.

However, for some of the measures the target, and thus the actual (sometimes), is a negative number, and the conditional formatting doesn't seem to work with negative percentages, as we want it to work with both positive and negative. To set the conditional formatting, we wrote the target percentages in other cells and referenced them in the conditional formatting box ("equal to L13" for example,). For those with negative options, we have set two rules for each (one linked to a cell showing the "RED" positive value, and one linked to the cell showing the "RED" negative value etc, for green and yellow). I have tried "stop if true" for the positive values, but still, whenever the percentage is negative, it only shows up red. Can anyone help please?

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Have you tried incorporating the ABS function into your CF formula? For example, =ABS(A2)>=.9 would return true for all values greater than or equal to .9 and all values less than or equal to -.9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel 2010
ABC
1Data
20.5-0.60.49
3-0.90.98-0.48
5Green Formula
6FALSEFALSEFALSE
7TRUETRUEFALSE
9Yellow Formula
10TRUETRUEFALSE
11FALSEFALSEFALSE
13Red Formula
14FALSEFALSETRUE
15FALSEFALSETRUE
Sheet8

Green Formula =ABS(A2)>=0.9
Yellow Formula =AND(ABS(A2)>=0.5,ABS(A2)<0.9)
Red Formula =ABS(A2)<0.5

Upvote 0
Thanks so much-so I have tried this, though am still failing at excel!!

For each item, the percentage changes-I used the 0.5 etc as an example for my description, so for each metric, we have been basing the conditional formatting on if X= (contents of cell showing percentage that makes it red)-then colour it red, or if x=between (cell containing yellow value) and (cell containing red value), then colour it yellow etc etc

I tried to add in ABS before these, and it didn't change the response-everything is red still-I am tearing my hair out, I am sure there is a simple solution?! Or that, you just gave me a great one and i am too silly to realise it?!

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Can you copy and paste a few rows and columns of your data or create a small example that I can go off of?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back