Conditional Formatting "Applies to" Range Changing

dtarockoff

I'm currently using a workbook that I edit daily and save on a flash drive to pass on to a co-worker each day for his use. I have Excel 2011 for Mac, and he uses Excel 2010 for PC.

On one of the sheets in the workbook, there is a list of contacts with columns A through U containing unique information for each contact. In column C, there is a "designation" letter, "P" for example, and I've written over 20+ conditional formatting rules that highlight the entire row based on the designation letter in column C. The formulas are accurate and they work well. However, when I save the spreadsheet and my co-worker opens it on his computer, the "Applies to" range in the conditional formatting menu often changes for each of the different rules.

I need each rule to cover the range A14 through U2500, and I originally wrote "=$A$14:$U$2500" under each rules' "Applies to" section. It seems that Excel randomly changes these ranges though, leaving something obscure such as "=$A$14:$U$16,$A$18:$U$180,..." etc.

What is going on? I'm totally stumped; at this point I'm just assuming there's some glitch with transferring from the different versions of Excel. I hope it's an easy fix!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back