Conditional Formatting - Baseball Lineup

BJBALENTINE

I'm a youth baseball coach and I'm trying to make creating my lineup or player positions easier. What I want to do is this:
I have a small table set up for each position (LF, CF, RF, 1B, 2B etc). At each of these I have the table set up with 6 blank rows.
Off to the side I have 6 columns labled 1 thru 6. In each of these I have my players first name listed (12 players).

When making a position rotation, the frustrating part is as you go, unless you're marking the names off of a list you lose track of who you already put down and who you haven't put down yet. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to type in "Chris" in the first slot (first inning) at catcher and Chris' name automatically highlights yellow under the "1" column to the right. Thus indicating that for the first inning, Chris has already been placed and then I can move on to the next one.

I'm pretty good with Excel and I've been trying all kinds of ways to do this, but can't make it work.
Help!!

If it's possible I can send you what I have now, so you can see exactly where I am.

Thanks
BJ

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I might try this. On a single sheet in Excel:
1. Have a grid area that has positions down the first column and innings across the first row. In this matrix, enter the names of the players for the various positions and innings.
2. Skip a few rows down.
3. Have a grid area that has player names down the first column. In this matrix, enter a COUNTIF formula that counts the number of times the player name appears in the same column in the above rows. Since a player should only be in one position for a particular inning, each player should have a count of 0 (if not playing that inning) or 1 for each inning.

Add a sum formula at the end of the row of each player to sum the 0's and 1's across all innings. This will total the number of innings a play played.
Add a sum formula just below the rows of player names to sum the 0's and 1's for each inning. This will total the number players assigned to positions in the inning.

Bonus: You can use Data Validation to ensure names entered in the matrix of positions and innings match the names of players in the list of play names below.

Best of luck,

G/L

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fenes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back