Conditional Formatting based on Range Size

Wayne's Wisdom

I know it sounds like this has been covered but I have looked and I have found nothing.

I have created a speadsheet for a tournament that lists the team names down column A (leaving a heading row). I have a formula in the top row which copies each row heading to a column heading 2 columns wide (to be able to record a result) Formula: =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROUNDUP((COLUMN()+1)/2,0),1)). This way it will be possible to keep the results of the tournament on a grid. I would like to put in conditional formatting that meets 3 criteria...

1, it must fill every second row but only fill cells that have column and row headings (ie. rows that will have content in them which will be determined by the number of entrants). eg. if i have 10 teams then every odd row from row 1 to 11 will be filled. If 40 teams register then every odd row from 1 to 41 will be filled. 2, the fill needs to only fill cells that have column and row headings eg. if 10 teams register then every odd row from column 1 to 21 will be filled. Then 3, If the row heading and column heading are equal then it need to gray out or fill a different colour (or lock cell contents to empty if possible) but again, only fill cells that have column and row headings.

I have 2 rules. Rule 1: =(ADDRESS(1,EVEN(COLUMN()-1)))=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),1)) PROBLEM: It needs to only fill cells that have a column and row heading which it doesn’t, it fills the correct cells untill there is no column heading then fills every other cell in columns beyond the last column with a heading. Rule 2: so far this works: =AND(MOD(ROW(),2)>0) but when i try to restrict it to cells with row and column headings it doesnt work. This is what I had: =AND(MOD(ROW(),2)>0,IsEmpty(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(1),COLUMN()))<>"")=FALSE) OR =AND(MOD(ROW(),2)>0,CELL("contents"<>"",ADDRESS(ROW(1),COLUMN()))) Please teach me!

Kindly, thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back