Conditional Formatting & Binary Worksheets

Caid

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Morning all.

I've been tasked with reducing the size and load times of several worksheets.

In addition to converting the reference document to SQL to the import into excel, I've also changed all the documents to binary worksheets. This is where the issue begins.

I had conditional formatting on a range of values which would compare each row to the limit. (I.e. if we have a value of 80% and a limit of 75% then the cell will turn red). I've not really changed the document other than this and I'm not too sure on the actual advantages / disadvantages of binary worksheets. Do I need to keep the document as it was before, or do you think the issue lies elsewhere and binary worksheets can still have conditional formatting?

Kind regards,
Caid

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
not an expert on XLSB - but it is supposed to save time on load and space

I have a couple of spreadsheets saved in XLSB and they work ok when opened with quite a lot of conditional formatting , but no external links or VBA ( I understand you dont get the VBA security warning when opening XLSB with macros

You are using excel 2016 based on your profile

Do I need to keep the document as it was before, or do you think the issue lies elsewhere and binary worksheets can still have conditional formatting?
as i say Mine work OK with conditional formatting

if you save as XLSX - the formatting works fine
when saved as XLSB it stops working

I'm not sure what is stripped out - but according to various searches it should still work , as its just a form of compressing the file -

Upvote 0
I understand you dont get the VBA security warning when opening XLSB with macros
Yes you do as long as they aren't in a trusted location and your security settings aren't to allow all macro's, all my files that I create are xlsb and I get the below if not in a trusted location

1669634375451.png

Upvote 0

@MARK858

thanks for the clarification, as i said I dont use VBA in my files , so was not sure if that was the case - some websites gave a warning about VBA in Binary files....
But thanks for the facts

I'm assuming in your experience conditional formatting is OK, I only have 2 files i used in the past , which have used XLSB and conditional formatting worked OK -

Upvote 0
only have 2 files i used in the past , which have used XLSB and conditional formatting worked OK
I personally haven't had any issues with conditional formatting in xlsb, not saying that there aren't any just I haven't had any issues specific to xlsb files.

Upvote 0
(I.e. if we have a value of 80% and a limit of 75% then the cell will turn red). I've not really changed the document other than this and I'm not too sure on the actual advantages / disadvantages of binary worksheets
how is the conditional formatting set-up - using a formula ?

In addition to converting the reference document to SQL to the import into excel,
Is the import into excel causing an issue - perhaps overwriting the formatting in cells ?

as mentioned in my post
if you save as XLSX - the formatting works fine
when saved as XLSB it stops working

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which means I may make an error, which is very time consuming, and from my point of view less likely to get a response, if a complicated spreadsheet. Plus we cannot see any of the formulas used.

Therefore -

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back