Conditional formatting cells containing certain values

patwhit14

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I am very much an amatuer at Excel, so I apologise if this is very straight forward!

I am having a bit of trouble working out how to use conditional formatting properly. Basically what I am trying to achieve is to have certain cells change colours based on their values (which is in days on my spreadsheet).

I service equipment on a regular basis (minor service 3 times per year and major service once a year). When a certain machine is due within 14 days I want text to turn red and when due between 15-30 days I would like the text to turn orange. At all other times I would like the text to be green.

The sheet contains 4 columns which these would apply to; "Q1 minor", "Q2 minor", "Q3 minor" and "Major", each of these would countdown to a date each year.

The issue that I am having is that my cells contain words as well as numbers, for example the cells contain "8 days" rather than just the number "8".

If possible I would also like to be able to check off these services once they are complete which would reset the countdown.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Can you supply a small sample of the data range, e.g. 8 days, 2 days, 20 days etc so we can see what range of data we have to deal with or are they all specifically "n days"?

Upvote 0
Can you supply a small sample of the data range, e.g. 8 days, 2 days, 20 days etc so we can see what range of data we have to deal with or are they all specifically "n days"?

Each column will have a countdown to a date in the year, so each column will be counting down from 365. The values which are 31-365 days will show in green text, the values which are 15-30 days will be orange and the values which are 1-14 days will be red.

Upvote 0
This is the very early stages of the sheet and is more or less all I need. Please note I have not entered any dates etc. yet so all values are the same until this is done.

jkzlh4.jpg

Upvote 0
Try

Select A1

Conditional Formatting
New Rule
Use a formula to determine...

=(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)+0<=14)
format as red

=(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)+0<=31)
format as orange

=(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)+0>31)
format as green

Use Format painter (paintbrush icon) to copy to other cells

UPDATE: I'm at work at present and unable to see that picture.

Upvote 0
Try

Select A1

Conditional Formatting
New Rule

format as red

format as orange

format as green

That did not seem to work, it might be important to add that I have already played around with having cells countdown to a date so I have already used the formula below -

=DATEVALUE("1-October")-TODAY()&" days"

I added your formula above and used the format painter to all these cells which did not change colour.

Upvote 0
Try

Select A1

Conditional Formatting
New Rule

format as red

format as orange

format as green

OK, so I've gone back and had another play and have had some luck this time, not sure what I was doing wrong last night (I was very tired!).

It seems to be working now, however I am getting some errors whenever I manually change the dates which each cell is counting down to?

I really appreciate all the help so far.

Pat

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back