Conditional formatting conflict

cpcp

Hello all I am new here and have tried searching for an answer with no success.

I am trying to format text colour dependant on A Date Occurring such that the text turns to yellow for This Week then orange for Tomorrow and then red for Today.

The problem I encounter is that as Today and Tomorrow are subsets of This Week strange formatting behaviour seems to occur.

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks for any pointers.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

PA HS Teacher

The order of your conditions matters.

How about trying:

Make your 1st condition <= Today.
Make your 2nd condition <= Tomorrow.
Make your 3rd condition <= 1 Week from Today.

cpcp

Thank you that worked but it illustrated another stumbling block for me unfortunately :mad:

The field This Week seems defined to be up until midnight on Saturday night. There is a field for In The Last 7 Days; is there a field or work-around for In The Next 7 Days?

Sorry for the trouble.

bobsan42

Hello all I am new here and have tried searching for an answer with no success.

I am trying to format text colour dependant on A Date Occurring such that the text turns to yellow for This Week then orange for Tomorrow and then red for Today.

The problem I encounter is that as Today and Tomorrow are subsets of This Week strange formatting behaviour seems to occur.

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks for any pointers.
Try to rearrange the Conditional formats Order.
Make the one for This week the first condition.
If you're using Excel2007 - there is another option - "Stop if true".
The field This Week seems defined to be up until midnight on Saturday night. There is a field for In The Last 7 Days; is there a field or work-around for In The Next 7 Days?
what are the formulas used for this. the first/last day of the week is defined in the formula (default is 1=Sunday/Saturday)(2 is for Monday/Sunday ...)
What kind of FIELD for the last 7 days?

Last edited:

cpcp

Hi Bobsan42,

The first part of my question is answered well -thanks for your input.

The second part of my question refers to the drop down options in 2007 under: Format>Conditional Formatting>Highlight Cell Rules>A Date Occurring.

Perhaps you are telling me there is a way to make my own rules via another method that I haven't seen in 2007?

Thanks

bobsan42

sorry - no 2007 around (work)
may be in the evening (at home ) :)
You mean that in the menu there is a Ready Conditional Formatting for the last 7 days?
if there is none for the next 7 day - make a cond.format by cell value (or formula):
>= Today() And <=today()+6
(not ready or copy/paste - sorry)

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stams

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...