Conditional formatting for a group of cells

j.mandall

I am working on a project that is comparing budgets across multiple contracts and tracking any variance from the original template. The budget information for the template is in column B and columns c - z contain the contract budgets.

Is there a way to conditionally format the cells to make them change if they vary from the corrsponding row in the template? So, if F8 is greater then B8 it will be bold... but I want to apply that to all the cells in columns c - z.

Thanks for any help...

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
if the row numbers will change with each row, then:

=$F8>$B8

if the formula is only to look at row 8, regardless what row the format is on, then:

=$F$8>$B$8

Upvote 0
I don't want to calculate the numbers... I am entering the data by hand and would just like the cells to be conditionally formatted so that if any number in a given row in columns c - z varries from the number in the same row in column b it will turn bold or a color. So i just want to do group conditional formatting.

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to the board!!
Select Columns C-Z, with C1 Active. in CF, use Formula Is
Code:
=(C1<>$B1)*C1
Select a format

lenze

Upvote 0
Just for the record, the formula I gave you was for conditional formatting. It only resolves to true/false which is what you want for conditional formatting. However, it appears you got another solution for the answer you were seeking.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your effort, it helped point me in the right direction, and I did find a formula that worked for me.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back