Conditional Formatting for dynamic table

greenae

Board Regular
Hi, i've got a big table of data that will change. I want to add a background color to groups. More specifically, I have End-Use groups that will change and I want the formatting to detect the groups and apply a format. Is this possible? Right now I have it set to use the Mod(Row(),2)= 0 to apply the format to every other row, but I'd prefer to detect the groups... I'm doubtful that this is possible, but if it is please let me know!

THANKS!!!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
greenae said:
Hi, i've got a big table of data that will change. I want to add a background color to groups. More specifically, I have End-Use groups that will change and I want the formatting to detect the groups and apply a format. Is this possible? Right now I have it set to use the Mod(Row(),2)= 0 to apply the format to every other row, but I'd prefer to detect the groups... I'm doubtful that this is possible, but if it is please let me know!

THANKS!!!

Care to provide what would trigger the coloring of the cells?

Upvote 0
i'm not sure what the formula would be, but basically if B2<>B1 I want the color to change. And that would continue throughout all of Column B.

Ex.

Dog
Dog
Cat
Cow
Cow
Horse
Horse
Pig

I would want the Dog rows white, the cat row grey, the cow rows white, the horse rows grey etc....

Is this what you wanted?

Upvote 0
You'll probably have to adjust this, but hopefully this will get you on the right track. Using Conditional Formatting and Formula Is,

=MATCH(B1,$A$2:$A$10,0)

Where A2:A10 houses your criteria list

Upvote 0
Not quite sure what you mean by "End-use groups" but let's assume each record belongs to a certain group (let's say Group 1, Group 2 or Group 3). Use a blank column and enter the group number for that record. Then, do your conditional formatting for each row based on that column. You can get up to 4 different colors, three with the conditional formatting and the forth by using regular formatting to pre-format the entire range (blue below).

In the example below, I selected A2:D7 and first formatted all the cells with a blue background. Then, I clicked on Format>Conditional Formatting and entered these three conditions:

Condition 1
Formula is: =$D2=4, format pink pattern

Condition 2
Formula is: =$D2=3, format green background

Condition 3
Formula is: =$D2=2, format yellow background
Book1
ABCD
1LastFirstAgeGroup
2CrambGeri361
3RabbatElf593
4KatcherBarry603
5RiedelEarle1984
6DuLacPam452
7WatermanJoyce424
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back