Conditional formatting-format cell in column based on value in another cell (row by row)

ljwisner

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to format (bottom border) each cell in a column based on the value in the corresponding cell in the same row. I can do this individually to each cell, but would like the formatting to "read" the value in a cell, and format another accordingly for the entire column.

For example:
excel snip.PNG

This is my workbook. I am trying to have a bottom border on cells B3-B12, C3-C12, D3-D12 based on the fact that cells A3-A12 have a number in them. I would like the bottom border of B12, C12, D12 to disappear if A12 does not have a number in it. Same goes for B11,C11,D11 if A11 doesn't have a number etc.

I can currently do this by selecting B2>conditional formatting>formula>=$A$2<>"".

I do not want to have to select each cell in the B,C,D columns to then "read" the corresponding A column cell.

Please help.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
=COUNTA($A3:$Ax) will not work because there is a formula to determine if there is a number shown in column A

Upvote 0
Try
Select the range B3:D12 > Cond Format > Formula > =ISNUMBER($A3)

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you! This works.
The marked solution has been changed accordingly. In your future questions, please mark the post as the solution that actually answered your question, instead of your feedback message as it will help future readers. No further action is required for this thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MushtaqAli

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back