Conditional Formatting Help?

Dave Punky

Board Regular
Hi all,

I'm trying to use some conditional formatting and I'm not sure how to code it, as I can't seem to get it to work.

Basically what I want to do is if there's a 1 in a perticular cell, a set of cells in the row underneath change colour, if there's a 2 then two rows worth change colour - if you see what I'm saying.

For example, the ranges I'm working with would be say B12:G12 for line 1. If the number 1 was entered in G12, then range B13:G13 would change colour. If a 3 was entered then it would be range B13:G16.

I'm pretty sure I would need to use conditional formatting for this, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi Fazza,

I'm not really having much luck using that, I'm guessing I'm going wrong somewhere - also that look like it does the whole row rather than a selection, which I can add into the first set of brackets I imagine?

Upvote 0
I don't know what you're doing, so can't advise on if it is wrong. Maybe search on line for examples of applying conditional formats. Or refer to Excel help.

It doesn't do a whole row. Only the cells you format. The posted formula is fine.

Upvote 0
Ok I understand where I was going wrong originally, and the formula you provided is now working - which is appreciated!

I know my description wasn't all that clear, so I knocked up some images which kinda show exactly what I want to do.

excel1.gif

I'm gonna have up to 100 rows in place, I'm thinking there must be a way where I can set a rule to look at row H and if there's a digit, drop down a line and highlight - otherwise I'm gonna be applying a lot of rules to each set of rows lol!

Upvote 0
Well, it is a little clearer - though still not enough (for me).

What you want can be done, for sure. Exactly what you want isn't clear enough for me to give a specific answer. I could make some assumptions, but I'd rather not. OK?

cheers

Upvote 0
I don't think there is any better way of explaining it, that is exactly what I want to do in the picture, lol.

Basically I'm logging reference numbers and if I'm inturrupted, I want the case where I'm inturrupted to highlight, and if I'm inturrupted more than once for however many lines to drop down.

Maybe there is another way without conditional formatting or a more effective way of doing this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back