Conditional Formatting - I'm Stuck

AMANDAJELLIOTT

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi!

This wonderful forum helped me out a while back with a work project I just could not figure out. I am back again with a similar work project that is throwing me for a loop and was hoping you guys could help me learn where I am going wrong. I'm not understanding something about my formulas, and I want to learn!

I have a workbook that has been created for a department within my company. This workbook has an actions table tab that contains list of events and each action that needs to be taken for each event. The tasks that do not need to be completed have an "X" in the cell, the tasks that do need to be completed have a blank cell. Under the MASTER tab, I have created a drop down list for the user to select an event. Once they have made their selection, I have inserted a conditional formatting expression to fill in each cell that had an "X" on my actions table tab as black. This way, the user only sees what actions they need to complete based on the event they have chosen.

BUT, this is not working and I dont know why. I have looked at this for so long my eyes are crossing 😵‍💫. Can someone please help?

The forumla I have inserted in conditional formatting is: =INDEX(actions_Table!C$5:R$29,MATCH($F2,actions_Table!$B$5:$B$29,0))="X"

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Attachments

• Actions Table.PNG
    Actions Table.PNG
    80.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Conditional Formatting Rules Manager.PNG
    Conditional Formatting Rules Manager.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Edit Formula Rule.PNG
    Edit Formula Rule.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Master.PNG
    Master.PNG
    62.8 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
When showing screenshots of a worksheet please include the row and column headers. Your formula refers to several columns and I don't know for certain where they are on your screenshots. I'm taking an educated guess.

not working
Please define what this means. What result are you expecting, where, and what result are you actually getting?

The data in sheet actions_Table appears to start in row 2 but your CF formula starts in row 5. That's a killer right there.

Also, your INDEX array is using multiple columns when only one is needed. I am not sure what it will return if you have multiple columns but omit the column argument. Probably the first column, but this should be cleaned up.

Excel Formula:
=INDEX(actions_Table!C$2:C$29,MATCH($F2,actions_Table!$B$2:$B$29,0))="X"

If that doesn't work then maybe you can paste in some actual data instead of pictures, or use a file-sharing site to share your file.

Upvote 0
When showing screenshots of a worksheet please include the row and column headers. Your formula refers to several columns and I don't know for certain where they are on your screenshots. I'm taking an educated guess.

Please define what this means. What result are you expecting, where, and what result are you actually getting?

The data in sheet actions_Table appears to start in row 2 but your CF formula starts in row 5. That's a killer right there.

Also, your INDEX array is using multiple columns when only one is needed. I am not sure what it will return if you have multiple columns but omit the column argument. Probably the first column, but this should be cleaned up.

Excel Formula:

If that doesn't work then maybe you can paste in some actual data instead of pictures, or use a file-sharing site to share your file.
I am so sorry! I used a file sharing site and the file can be found here: Gofile - Free file sharing and storage platform

It's not working, as in it is not doing anything at all. Once the event is selected, the cells are not formatting as I want it to. Its simply doing nothing.

Upvote 0
You didn't use the formula I gave you.
Rich (BB code):

You still had this
Rich (BB code):
=INDEX(actions_Table!C$2:R$29,MATCH($F2,actions_Table!$B$2:$B$29,0))="X"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back