Conditional Formatting - Left Align Currency with Suffix

A_Mason

I am looking to format a cell to have a left aligned currency symbol, right aligned text with a suffix.
My table will be displaying an itemized breakdown of several items and their respective costs per square foot, but I still need to be able to incorporate formulas, requiring that I use conditional formatting to keep the cells as a value, rather than a text.

I need the $ on the left side (like the accounting format) without decimal places, proceeded by "/Sq Ft."
|$ 25/Sq Ft.|

Can anyone help with this?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
So, you want 5 to be displayed as "$ 5/Sq Ft."? you Don't need Conditional Formatting though it can do it.

Select the range of cells you want the format to be applied to, hit Ctrl-1 to bring up the Format Cells window, click at "Custom", then, copy and paste the following format:

"$"???,???.00"/Sq Ft."

Adjust number of question marks to suit your price range. For example, use three question marks if the dollar amount won't exceed 1000.

Upvote 0
Just curious, how could I ensure I have the $ preceeding the value AND have the suffix without conditional formatting?

Also, should I leave off the ".00" to refrain from having a decimal place? I want to show the whole dollar amount. This spreadsheet will be displaying values in the hundred thousands of dollars so cents will be irrelevant and just clutter the appearance of my table.

Upvote 0
Just curious, how could I ensure I have the $ preceeding the value AND have the suffix without conditional formatting?
What conditional formatting does is if the condition is met, the format will be applied. What number formatting does is change the format of the cell. The format is applied to the cell without question. No condition needs to be met.

Number formatting can do magic. You can have 1 appeared as "I don't know" or 5 if you really want it.

The dollar sign in the very beginning of the example I gave tells Excel to precede the cell content with a dollar sign.

Also, should I leave off the ".00" to refrain from having a decimal place? I want to show the whole dollar amount. This spreadsheet will be displaying values in the hundred thousands of dollars so cents will be irrelevant and just clutter the appearance of my table.
I did not know whether you you want to show cents. If not, remove ".00".

Upvote 0
I'm currently in the car, so I can't. I definitely will when I reach my destination though!
How do you do number formatting instead of conditional?

Upvote 0
Select the cells you want to apply number format. Then, hit Ctrl-1. This will bring up the number formatting window. Click at Custom on the bottom left side of the window.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back