Conditional Formatting: need text to match grey background in normal view and white in print preview

cde

Hello all,

I have a sheet that has a grey background. When a cell meets a certain condition, I want that cell's contents to turn grey and match the background (so you can't see it). This part I can do with no problems.

The problems comes when you go to print preview and/or print the document, the grey text is visible on the white background. Is there some type of conditional formatting trick that can be used so that the cell contents are white when in print preview mode, and therefore, not visible.

(Key point: the worksheet has a grey background, not cells shaded grey.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Why not set it up so that, when the condition is met, the text is not displayed at all ?

Let's say your condition is that cell A1 has to equal 100.

Code:
=if(a1=100,"","ABC")

Upvote 0
Why not set it up so that, when the condition is met, the text is not displayed at all ?

Let's say your condition is that cell A1 has to equal 100.

Code:
=if(a1=100,"","ABC")

Gerald - thank you for your response. That would work, but I have a case where two different subsets of people will be entering information. For subset #1, I need them to input information into a formatted data table with column headings. For subset #2, not only do they not need to fill it out, I don't even want them to see that there are cells that could possibly be inputs. So I basically want the data table (headers and all) to "disappear" when in normal view. (This part I have working with no problem. When I go to print it though, there is a grey block where the data table is. I want that to be white, so it doesn't show on the printed page.)

Hopefully that helps clear up where I'm stuck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back