Conditional Formatting Not Functioning Correctly

mmac723

I've created formulas for my conditional formatting, and it works in the first sheet. I've then used the format painter to apply the Conditional Formatting to another sheet - and it's turned my whole sheet green!
The rule is not being followed - any ideas?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I've created formulas for my , and it works in the first sheet. I've then used the format painter to apply the Conditional Formatting to another sheet - and it's turned my whole sheet green!
You can put the formula you have in the conditional formatting on each sheet and what do you have in apply to

Twollaston

Board Regular
I've created formulas for my conditional formatting, and it works in the first sheet. I've then used the format painter to apply the Conditional Formatting to another sheet - and it's turned my whole sheet green!
it's because your conditions in the new sheet are not in the same place, so your condition field on the new formatting is having no restriction based on what field it's actually pointing to. Manage rules in conditional formatting and choose the one on the sheet your having a problem with, and look at the cells it's referencing

(either due to having relative references and not pasting the formatting in the same cells on the other sheet, or having absolute references that do not match up on both sheets)

Last edited:

mmac723

You can put the formula you have in the conditional formatting on each sheet and what do you have in apply to
The formula is =$L7="Scheduled on OAP" > Format Green> Applies to: =$A$7:$U$505

But the cell in Column L is blank, yet it is still turning ever row green.
Other formatting supersedes it, so if I put in another data point, it will revert to grey or orange, or whathaveyou.
I just don't want a totally green spreadsheet....

mmac723

I've checked, and the rules apply to to correct cells -
My issue (which I don't think I made clear) is that the cell is blank, and its still turning green.
Maybe I'm missing something super simple, but I cant seem to keep the rules in place and have a non-green spreadsheet.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I have always found the Format Painter to be a bit flaky/unpredictable when it comes to Conditional Formatting.
Your formulas look pretty basic. I would recommend just writing them directly to your other sheets instead of trying to use the Format Painter.

mmac723

I have always found the Format Painter to be a bit flaky/unpredictable when it comes to Conditional Formatting.
Your formulas look pretty basic. I would recommend just writing them directly to your other sheets instead of trying to use the Format Painter.

I'm going to sound lazy here - but there are 28 conditions and 52 tabs that need application of formatting.
I'm trying to find an easy fix - it's totally possible to do individually, but I'm dreading it....

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Try using the Macro Recorder as you do it to one tab, and record the setting of those rules.
You should then be able to use that code to set it up on all tabs (it may require a little fine tuning, depending on the differences in your sheets - but if there are differences, than the Format Painter probably wouldn't work anyway).

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
The formula is =$L7="Scheduled on OAP" > Format Green> Applies to: =$A$7:$U$505

But the cell in Column L is blank, yet it is still turning ever row green.
Other formatting supersedes it, so if I put in another data point, it will revert to grey or orange, or whathaveyou.
I just don't want a totally green spreadsheet....
I tried your Conditional Formatting and it works. You comment that you have other Conditional Formatting, you could put them to review them together.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I10V3xl

This Week's Hot Topics